Diablo 2x --- wont start up

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Mr.Macbook, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Mr.Macbook macrumors newbie

Ive installed diablo 2 expansion from the website
    but now when i try and open the game it says
    "The application Diablo 2 has quit unexpectedly"

Ive looked up many solutions, Ive tryed to decrease the screen size to 600x800 and ive tryed downloading the patch
    but i cant seem to find out where to put the patch when its downloaded

if anybody knows what i can do to fix the problem it'd be a great help
    id love to get playing diablo 2

2. imassents macrumors 6502

I take it this is for a Macbook that was purchased early 2008? If so, the drivers for the video card supplied in OS X do not support 256 colours, hence the reason for the crash. Diablo relies on 256 colour support. While this a fault of Apple, Blizzard are currently working on a fix for this, and it is believed to be implemented in the next patch, 1.13 (currently still in development).

In the mean time, patch yourself to 1.12 (which you may already have). Extract the .zip file and you should be given a black battle.net icon. Double-click the file to apply the patch (it will also attempt to load the game and crash once more - this is normal). Once the patch is installed, use the beta patch to enable the game to run. You can find the patch here
    http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=20233

Just drag and drop the patch into your installed folder. Hopefully this will fix it up. This patch is also single-player only, battle.net will not work.

3. Phish30 macrumors newbie

imassents,
    that was awesome and very helpful but can you explain "
    Just drag and drop the patch into your installed folder." a little more? the path to the folder would be an awesome help. thanks!

4. imassents macrumors 6502

As it's possible to install Diablo wherever you like, try using Spotlight to find it. Press Command-Space and search for "Diablo II (Carbon)". Once it appears in the list, choose show all. Find "Diablo II (Carbon)" then right-click it and choose "Open Enclosing Folder". Put the file "Diablo II BETA-for-X3100 (Carbon)" in this folder. Use this file to load Diablo.

Please note, this is for Singleplayer only. Battle.net will not work at this stage.