Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
how would i open those ports, that is what blizzard told me to do since i randomly get dced only on my mac...

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Are you running over wifi? I always have problems running games over wifi on my macbook.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
If it's only D3 you're having problems with, it's likely the servers. I'm having the same problem.

well im now having problems with world of warcraft also...i just get randomly dc'ed but on my pc both games run fine with no dc =(

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
well im now having problems with world of warcraft also...i just get randomly dc'ed but on my pc both games run fine with no dc =(

It's your MacBooks wifi. I had the same problem with all blizzard games and sometimes steam. Blizzards servers don't like the random wifi packet drops that MacBooks love to do. Plug it in, you'll see.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
It's your MacBooks wifi. I had the same problem with all blizzard games and sometimes steam. Blizzards servers don't like the random wifi packet drops that MacBooks love to do. Plug it in, you'll see.

that angers me...so calling apple and flipping out wont do anything? lol, but this angers me beyond belief because i have absolutely no way to plug it in...

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Do you have some sort of access to the router at least? You might be able to fiddle with settings for a more stable connection.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Do you have some sort of access to the router at least? You might be able to fiddle with settings for a more stable connection.
yes i do have access to the router, what would i need to do, its linksys...

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
yes i do have access to the router, what would i need to do, its linksys...

I'm not sure of the specifics for a Linksys router, but you should have a setting to enable a DMZ. You should first try this. Enable the DMZ for your Macbook's IP address. You shouldn't leave this enabled forever, but see if it solves the problem. If it fixes things, it means something on your router is blocking traffic to /from blizzard's servers.

If that doesn't work, try fiddling with some of the WiFi settings on the router. Try disabling certain bands, or changing channels. Try setting the router to 802.11 N-only mode. Then try G only mode and B only mode. The lower the protocol, the fewer dropped packets you should theoretically have.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
I'm not sure of the specifics for a Linksys router, but you should have a setting to enable a DMZ. You should first try this. Enable the DMZ for your Macbook's IP address. You shouldn't leave this enabled forever, but see if it solves the problem. If it fixes things, it means something on your router is blocking traffic to /from blizzard's servers.

If that doesn't work, try fiddling with some of the WiFi settings on the router. Try disabling certain bands, or changing channels. Try setting the router to 802.11 N-only mode. Then try G only mode and B only mode. The lower the protocol, the fewer dropped packets you should theoretically have.

i knew how to change the frequency before, but i cant find the setting again =/ do you perhaps know how to? Also comcast thinks they diagnosed the problem and sent me a new modem...they said i needed a docsis 3 modem but i had a docsis 2...

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Just installed Diablo on Windows and boy, noticeable improvement both on performance and networking. Starcraft was basically the same on both OS's. Think I'll have to boot to Windows for Diablo. You might want to do the same and see if your connection problems still remain.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Well, it might be to early to celebrate, but I followed some of Blizzards troubleshooting guides and I'm mildly optimistic that the DCs have improved.

What seems to help is to join general chat. Apparently this helps the game keep a steady connection.

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Well, it might be to early to celebrate, but I followed some of Blizzards troubleshooting guides and I'm mildly optimistic that the DCs have improved.

What seems to help is to join general chat. Apparently this helps the game keep a steady connection.

can you link me these guides?

th3goob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
found my problem and it once again is something i cannot fix, gotta send it back to apple =( second time this year =/. My wifi card is just randomly stopping, i thought maybe it was the router but i tried others and it also lost signal, but my other devices are fine =(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.