Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I sent emails to several sites who pretended to post specs about D3, as in the system requirements, and took a wee bit of time to have a conversation. I tried emailing blizzard, but naturally millions of others have done so and gotten no answer, even at the latest Blizzcon. Finally, I found a not-so-common but likely base for system requirements (maybe they're recommended, I'll ask) at Game-Debate.

For those of you wondering: I did a quick check, and the 2011 15" High end MBP should handle the game perfectly at high settings and steady smooth FPS on big battles. 13" high end is a pretty good bet, as is the 17" of course. And uh, the low end models will probably get med to low with good FPS. Bootcamp is a maybe for better performance. Well, here are the *predicted* specs!

Diablo III
PREDICTED System Requirements*
Intel Processor - Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80GHz
AMD Processor - Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition
Nvidia Graphics Card - GeForce GTS 250
ATI Graphics Card - Radeon HD 5670 512MB
RAM (Memory) - 4 GB
Hard Disk Space - 9 GB
Direct X - 9 (blizzard confirmed)

Hope this put extra weight on those of you already on your toes waiting for this game! :D

E.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Diablo III
RAM (Memory) - 4 GB
Hard Disk Space - 9 GB

Hope this put extra weight on those of you already on your toes waiting for this game! :D

E.

I think those are too high for Blizzard's usual minimum system requirements. I think minimum requirements would fall more along the lines of:
2.0< ghz dual core processor
256 mb video card ATI 4670/Nvidia 8600
Hard Disk Space - somewhere from 5 - 15 GB
Ram - 2GB

Maybe even lower than that. Blizzard usually has a heavy variety of graphics customization options to allow a huge range of customers to play their games.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I think those are too high for Blizzard's usual minimum system requirements. I think minimum requirements would fall more along the lines of:
2.0< ghz dual core processor
256 mb video card ATI 4670/Nvidia 8600
Hard Disk Space - somewhere from 5 - 15 GB
Ram - 2GB

Maybe even lower than that. Blizzard usually has a heavy variety of graphics customization options to allow a huge range of customers to play their games.

You may be right. The above may also be system recommended, rather than required. These are based off of SC2's system reqs. Diablo III will, however, be running on a new physics engine, supposedly all new, which, imaginably, would be more CPU demanding. Who knows. I certainly hope the system reqs are low, because the lower they are, even with a good computer, the higher the FPS!

E. :D

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I sent emails to several sites who pretended to post specs about D3, as in the system requirements, and took a wee bit of time to have a conversation. I tried emailing blizzard, but naturally millions of others have done so and gotten no answer, even at the latest Blizzcon. Finally, I found a not-so-common but likely base for system requirements (maybe they're recommended, I'll ask) at Game-Debate.

For those of you wondering: I did a quick check, and the 2011 15" High end MBP should handle the game perfectly at high settings and steady smooth FPS on big battles. 13" high end is a pretty good bet, as is the 17" of course. And uh, the low end models will probably get med to low with good FPS. Bootcamp is a maybe for better performance. Well, here are the *predicted* specs!

Diablo III
RAM (Memory) - 4 GB
Hard Disk Space - 9 GB

E.

Not sure that I buy the 'black edition' that is a little too specific (AMD BE chips are same as the non, except they are multiplier unlocked for over-clocking). In the tradition of Blizzard games, my guess is that the minimum reqs will be way lower - I bet that a P4 will do. This is not Starcraft after all - not much thinking in an action rpg.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Well the Mac version will definitely not require DirectX of any version :p

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
little bit on an update

I found these somewhere else. Maybe more realistic?

Mac® OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer
Intel® Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon® X1600 or better
12 GB available HD space
2 GB Ram
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution

(RECOMMENDED ARE BELOW)

Intel® Core 2 Duo processor
4 GB system RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GT or ATI Radeon® HD 4670 or better

Conclusion: I imagine you could get good performance even out of a 2009 Macbook Pro, esp. an Imac. It seems like Blizzard did go with their notoriously low system reqs. Or at least I hope they do.

E.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I found these somewhere else. Maybe more realistic?

Mac® OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer
Intel® Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon® X1600 or better
12 GB available HD space
2 GB Ram
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution

(RECOMMENDED ARE BELOW)

Intel® Core 2 Duo processor
4 GB system RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GT or ATI Radeon® HD 4670 or better

Conclusion: I imagine you could get good performance even out of a 2009 Macbook Pro, esp. an Imac. It seems like Blizzard did go with their notoriously low system reqs. Or at least I hope they do.

E.

Way more realistic than the last ones, I bet the ones released will be very similar to these.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Why? What did 10.6 do for graphical performance?

I bet the requirements will be almost exactly the same as Starcraft 2.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I'm almost willing to bet if the minimum specs required aren't the same as Starcraft 2 they'll be less. Diablo 3 can be very pretty, but it is handling a lot less than a very pretty RTS. Particularly one that is fine with concepts of building large forces and rushing the heck out of people. If the Starcraft 2 units weren't so detailed, I'd probably think Diablo 3 might force a good number of extra graphic standards to their minimum spec to push it past SC2 reqs, but not this time. Starcraft 2 does a lot of stuff per unit, particularly on medium spec and higher.

We've already seen the current gen 13" Macbook Air handle medium level graphics large scale battles without much of a hitch on OSX. Blizzard is still pretty good at putting out great games, with plenty of scalability to include folks with lesser spec machines. As long as they aren't doing something like Atom processor netbooks or anything. (Though the Torchlight team is one of the few folks even supporting that)

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Mobs and AI. It D3 might not have as much going on but it's still pretty comparable I think.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
There's a lot of that going on in Starcraft 2 as well. Starcraft 2 isn't just player vs. player.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Apple doesn't update graphics drivers for 10.5 anymore. By the time Diablo III comes out they will be ancient (well, they already are). And 10.7 will also be out, and it just won't make any sense to maintain a version of the game two OSs old.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia

I bet the requirements will be almost exactly the same as Starcraft 2.

10.6 has had pretty good upgrades to graphical performance three or so times. The first 2-3 improved FPS, at least for me, and the latest one stopped my computer going slow for about 30 seconds after I closed a game. Compared to 10.5, 10.6 is much better for gaming.

okinoki

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
You may be right. The above may also be system recommended, rather than required. These are based off of SC2's system reqs. Diablo III will, however, be running on a new physics engine, supposedly all new, which, imaginably, would be more CPU demanding. Who knows. I certainly hope the system reqs are low, because the lower they are, even with a good computer, the higher the FPS!

E. :D

Afaik the D3 engine will be a modified StarCraft 2 engine.
So those last specs posted sound pretty legit to me..

I will grab me the next imac no matter what. So I'll be prepared for awesome Hack'n'Slash Diablo 3 action! :D

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Knowing blizzard, you know they'll try to reach as many of their fans as they can. Shouldn't worry about the specs unless you have a 10 year old computer or something.

Though I'm still disappointed about hearing how sc and d2 wont be supported in Lion. Any updates on that?

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Afaik the D3 engine will be a modified StarCraft 2 engine.
So those last specs posted sound pretty legit to me..

I will grab me the next imac no matter what. So I'll be prepared for awesome Hack'n'Slash Diablo 3 action! :D

Well if those specs are legit, and the recommended specs are really those, the 15" macbook pro should have no problem whatsoever running the game on high, high settings.

okinoki

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Blizzard has said they are separate engines.

Indeed, you are right; no Havok in Diablo 3! That's new to me.

But judging from Blizzard's previous games it won't have too high requirements. My machine is 5 years old and able to run StarCraft II (low settings, smooth though). World of Warcraft runs splendid, doesnt have the uber gfx of course.

Blizzard focuses on gameplay with their releases, not on fancy graphics. And that's why I love their games.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That second set sounds more right, as it includes the x1600, which means the first and second generation of Macbook Pro's. They were sold through "early 2007", so unless they want to immediately cut out any Apple users who have hardware over 3 years old, they'd make it a 2.16 Core Duo CPU and x1600 GPU.

BaBayOOsa

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
i can answer this very simply by these statistics:

Blizzard has dedicated time in all there latest titles to be mac compatible yes? so that means D3 will be (they already announced this btw)

currently the most used Graphics card inside mac computers is the 9400m it accumulates over 58% of mac users Graphics cards. now blizzard would be idiots to not make it so that D3 can run on over half the mac community's computers.

and with that said blizzard would lose over half of there mac gamers wanting to run it natively.

also im guessing most people will compare D3 Requirements to Sc2 Requirements. and if you do so you're a fool. Sc2 is a game that requires a lot of AI to be running at one time for instance. when you have 4 200/200 armies attacking each other that and the Graphics in Sc2 aren't *amazing* they are good but nothing extraordinary.

now with that said that sc2 is a big AI game that means the GPU isn't running that the CPU is. compared to D3 which doesn't have as much AI going and looks just as nice will tend to be not so demanding. thats not to say getting a nice looking D3 wont require good performance. it just means that it wont require as much as Sc2 does.

so as far as the Graphics card goes it can be about as good as Sc2's requirement. as for the CPU it isn't as demanding due to not having to run 600 marine muzzle flashes at one time (yes i played a 4v4 and we all went marines lol)

so no it will not be as demanding as Sc2 just because the huge amount of AI sc2 has going compared to D3. now im not saying it will be half the requirements im saying it will be as much most likely.

and yes blizzard will not matter what make sure anyone running a 9400m GFX card will be able to play because like i said it is over 58% of mac users current GFX cards.

also to clear up what people are saying about a new physics engine that is not entirely true it is a different physics engine not a more demanding one blizzard wont release that info any time soon i don't think. (and no they are no longer using the Havoc Physics engine)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.