Diablo2 and iBook's: Whats going on?!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Diablo2, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Diablo2 macrumors newbie

Hi, i made this account just for this SPECIFIC question: I just bought an iBook and i'm trying to install Diablo2 on it, whenever i try to start it up, it doesnt work. Blizzard FAQ says i need Gamesprocket extensions, i DLed a file for them off of apple, the installer doesnt work because its "classic format or something". I need HELP!!!

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

While their page was last updated in 2007, it looks like Gamesprocket extensions only works in the Classic (OS 8 / OS 9) environment which was removed from OS X with the launch of Leopard (and only worked on PowerPC machines - not Intel).

3. Diablo2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh, so this means i can't get the Gamesprocket extensions which means i can't run my Diablo?

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Probably. I bought a copy at a local swap meet ($1) and I have not had success getting it to work in OS X Leopard. Fortunately, I own the PC version, as well, so I play it in Boot Camp.

5. teiresias macrumors regular

I have no problem running Diablo 2 on my 1.33GHz G4 iBook running Leopard. I installed it using the direct download version you can get at the Blizzard online store. If you have your CD-Keys from your retail copy you can make an account at the Blizzard Store and register those keys and they'll let you download the original D2 and the LoD expansion (assuming you have keys for both, otherwise you can only download whichever you have a key for) images directly from the store. They installed fine for me.

Only issue is a little "hitching" or pausing every few seconds when playing the game. Not really distracting, but wondering if it's harddrive caching doing that or not.