Diagnose Display Problem with MBP (mid 2010)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by _Pez, Aug 1, 2015.

1. _Pez macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

My faithful dev machine (a 15" mid 2010 MBP) developed a display problem this week and I've been having to run it in clamshell mode using an external display :-(

The machine boots with chime and everything, but after a brief flash of content the screen blanks out and stays that way.

If I boot it with the lid open and the external display attached I can move the mouse pointer from the dead screen to external and back which seems to indicate that the boot was successful and its just the display thats the issue.

I've had the back plate off and confirmed that the display cable is properly attached at the logic board end, but from what I've read elsewhere the problem could be a damaged display cable, a faulty display screen, or some other component board.

I'd hate to have to replace all three! is there anything I can do to Diagnose where the issue is?

Thanks In Advance! :)

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You need a new logic board. Take it into Apple, they may replace it out of warranty even though it's not covered anymore. It can't hurt to ask.

4. chipchen macrumors 6502

Yea, this will be hit or miss... so be prepared to make multiple appts with different Genius Bars. It depends on the tech.

Worst case, they will charge a flat rate repair fee of about $325...

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op if you shine a torch through the apple logo can you see anything on the screen?

6. _Pez thread starter macrumors newbie

No thats a negative. I thought about it being a backlight issue, but the screen emits light, its just that the screen displays no output after that first brief flash.

7. _Pez, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

_Pez thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, looking into the whole diagnostics thing I found this post about ASD (Apple Service Diagnostics)
    http://www.dannydullin.com/apple-service-diagnostic-asd-reference-list/

As this generation of MBP doesn't have the hold down 'd' for hardware test mode, that seemed like my only hope. I googled around for 'ASD 3S138' and found a disk image on a semi-reputable FTP site. I built a bootable ASD environment on an 8GB USB Key as per the instructions. The "Video Controller Internal" failed all tests with "Mux switching Failed...Didn't switch error"

I'm guessing that the "Video Controller Internal" is on the main logic board, which would mean a trip to the Genius bar to find out how much they will charge me. $325 is pretty good when you consider what these boards are going for on eBay

I know you guys told me all this already. But I also had to find out the hard way :)

Thanks again everyone!