Diagnosing a dead 20" Cinema Display...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MartMcD, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MartMcD macrumors newbie

I've got a problem with one of my 20" Cinema Displays. I got my original one when I purchased my Mac Pro and its covered under AppleCare - however, I got another at a later point for a dual monitor setup, but it now seems to have gone completely dead. I've been looking through the various instances of Cinema Display problems on here, but mine doesn't seem to match up.

* Display doesn't power on at all, nothing from the LED (no error flashes, nothing)
    * Have tried it with the power brick from my other Cinema Display, no difference
    * Have tried the other Cinema Display with the brick from the dead one, it works fine
    * Mac Pro seems to "see" the monitor as it lists under the Displays settings and in the System Profiler.
    * Tried connecting to a PowerBook G4, no difference.
    * Tried wiggling power cable, disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly, but still no difference.
    * No power from USB or Firewire ports on the back.
    * Nothing happens when pressing power button on the side.

It seems to be completely dead. Any thoughts on what would cause this? Would it need a new inverter board? I'm uncertain about whether that would prevent it from doing anything at all. Something completely screwed with it? Its out of warranty, predictably...

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated!

2. Mr. Funsocks macrumors regular

Sell it on ebay for parts. It's not worth the trouble.

3. macman4789 macrumors regular

I'd at least go to apple to see how much it would cost to get it fixed. It might be a small part that doesn't cost a lot. Wishful thinking but worth your cinema display.

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

hi, It appears i have a similar issue to MartMcD with one of my two 20" ACDs, except I haven't checked System profiler or power from the ports. Mine are both 1st revision ACDs- i understand the the 2nd revision has a slightly brighter LCD

Assuming this is not an isolated incident, what are the chances of an economical repair?

Thanks in anticipation.

Edit- pardon me, but I should have read this thread before posting. Apparently it isn't.