Diagnosis for iMac boot problem please?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jamie.hunt, Feb 18, 2010.

1. jamie.hunt macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2009
    I hope someone can help me here...

I have an intel iMac which I have not been able to get working for the last couple of weeks.

It started when I couldn't get the iMac to boot, it would not load past the white screen showing the apple or if it did it would only get to a blue/grey blank screen.

I unplugged everything except the keyboard and mouse.

I tried booting in safe mode by holding the shift key whilst it boots. When I do this on the white screen with the grey apple I then get a progress bar show up, It doesn't fill though and the iMac then turns its self off again.

I performed a disk verify/repair and got this:
    "invalid node structure
    invalid record count
    invalid key length
    Volume check failed
    The underlying task reported failure on exit."

Eventually I managed to to a clean install on it via the disks that came with the imac, one day later the mac would not load past a white screen with a flashing question mark in a folder.

When I insert the install cds again sometimes the HD shows up if i wanted to reinstall again. Sometimes the HD doesn't show up.

Is this problem hardware related do you think? I am just trying to work out what the problem is to know if I will need to send it off to apple to get it repaired.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Sounds like the hard drive is dying or already dead. If under Applecare, take it to Apple. Otherwise, you can swap in a new hard drive, if your mechanically inclined, or run off an external drive which will be slower.
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Did you boot from the install CD and run disk repair?
  4. jamie.hunt thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2009
    Yes i ran disk utility from the install cd's.

Is this likely to be the Hard drive on the way out?

...I dont want to get a new hard drive to find its something else as well?