Diagnostic Utilities (Software/Hardware)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZMacintosh, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I'm curious to know what people may recommend for hardware & software diagnostic utilities for Mac hardware/software.
    I'm looking into training for Mac certification training but wanted to get a headstart on it so I'm more comfortable & familiar with some more advanced tools and protocols.
    I mainly dabbled in PC repair for the last few years but would love to get into be able to learn more about the Mac processes too.

Any ideas or recommendations to look into would be helpful. thanks in advanced!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's really nothing you need in the way of diagnostics, unless you have a particular problem. Macs work well without the user having to do maintenance or diagnostics, as a rule. If you like, you can install iStat Pro to track various things like temperatures, battery health, etc.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

3. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

? Well, I'm looking for things to diagnose or test apple hardware, etc.
    Not some sort of passtime or leisure activity, but invest into working as an Apple hardware technician.
    if there were software utilities to invest in or external hardware utilities I'd need to test logicboards, memory, etc.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you looked at the courses available for Apple Certification Programs? That's probably the best place to start.

5. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yeah our school is offering a discount on taking the certification courses for techs but hasnt offered much of what is or may be needed by a technician to use software/hardware wise.
    I mean I have replaced logic boards in powermacs & macpros and macbook/pros, ipod/iphone screens but kind of want to dig a little deeper if possible. Im not sure if there is anything like a technicians network or community at all?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://training.apple.com/#certification
    http://consultants.apple.com/index.php

7. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yep, already went through that with my school. Im just trying to find specifics on software/hardware to practice my skills...

8. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I think there is a program called TechTools or something like that which is either the "official" diagnostic tool, or I'm making **** up again...