Dial F8 for Spaces

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macnoviz, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

According to Wired, who got their hands on a copy of Leopard, spaces is called up by F8. For laptop users, this is the only "free" function key, and I'm wondering what everybody here has assigned to F8.
    On my Macbook, I use it for quicksilver. Perhaps you can post your shortcut on F8 and maybe we can set up a poll once there are some different choices.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this couldnt be true, as on the laptop to turn off the backlight on the keyboard its F8... unless they change it around a bit.
    i wonders if you could have a certain corner to bring up the choice window. e.g. i have the right corner to bring up expose, left bottom for dashboard, right bottom for screensaver etcetc...

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

F8 is not free for those of us higher up the food chain using MacBook Pros ;)

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I have a 2.33 MBP C2D and I repeat... mine is still not assigned to anything nor was it ever assigned to anything. Do you have guys have a 15 or 17"?

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think f8 turns off the backlighting of the keyboard.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

hmmmm...okay i'll eat all my words with some ketchup please. although it needs to be dark for me to be really sure. So I'll change my previous statement--in the light f8 does nothing although it might be assigned a function. Thanks for helping me learn more about my mac.:D

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

shouldnt really matter... ANY mbp has this feature... F8 turns it off

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

isn't that what i wrote? ;)

10. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Okay, so is there anyone here that doesn't own a MBP and has something assigned to F8?

11. czeluff macrumors 6502

Clarifying

People, let me clarify this for you since I have my developer copy of Leopard from WWDC installed on my MBP:

Based on how I have my keyboard setup under System Preferences, F8 launches Spaces, Fn + F8 turns off the keyboard backlight.

Duh.

cz

12. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

[useless waste of forum space]
    actually, that's not really a duh. Normally Fn is for using a laptop-specific button as a desktop button, like F key 1-7(8), backspace (as delete) and such and such. Using Fn as modifier to turn a desktop button into a laptop specific button is the exact opposite. Although it is probably the most obvious choice, as you'll probably want to use spaces more than turning of backlit keyboard.
    [/useless waste of forum space]

anywho, thanks for pointing that out.

13. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

and yes you can use screen corners for spaces.... I have my upper right set to spaces, which under tiger used to be expose

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I think Yojimbo has usurped my F8 key, so I'll DEFINITELY be assigning some key combo or a screen corner to Spaces. w00t w00t.

15. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Just about the first thing I did when I got my MacBook Pro was change the settings to use the function key to alter hardware features (keyboard backlight, volume, LCD brightness). It's found at System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard.

16. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

What about the mouse?

I heard you could map Spaces onto the Mighty Mouse. I'm thinking of getting one of those newfangled Logitech Revolutions. Has anyone tried mapping Expose, Dashboard, Spaces, and the desktop shortcuts onto a Revolution?