Dial iphone from ipad

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Zetaprime, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Is there a way to bring up the dialing keypad on the iPad to call using your iPhone without adding an entry to the contacts or having received a call first? In other words I want to initiate a call on my iPad by the dialing keypad. I have made and received calls on my iPad but the outgoing calls were made through the contacts list. I want to be able to initiate the call by dialing manually.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

1. Launch FaceTime
    2. Type the number into the box that says, "Enter name, email, or number"

3. Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

That will work even for a non FaceTime call? I'm talking about calls to a regular non-apple phone.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, any number that can be called using your phone can be dialed on your iPad or Mac using FaceTime audio.

5. Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! You learn something new every day.

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Actually. If your iPhone (5 and up) is connected to your iPad (3 and up, I believe) using the same iCloud account (apple ID) you can receive calls on your iPad through a feature Apple calls "continuity". If that works, then you should be able to dial any number too through your iPhone. Alternatively, FaceTime audio/video works with ONLY apple devices. You can select either option I think.

7. Zetaprime, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

Dial iphone from ipad

Yes, in fact I discovered that feature pretty quickly when my Mac and iPad started ringing as calls came in. It took me quite by surprise. I didn't even have to do anything for that feature to work besides having ios8 on the phone and iPad, and Yosemite on the Mac. The only thing I hadn't known till now was how to manually dial a number from my iPad or Mac so it would use my iPhone to make the call. I had always figured FaceTime would only allow me to dial FaceTime calls and not calls to regular people with non apple phones.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Here is a handy dialer for the Mac, has a NC widget also (I used it during the beta testing - now available in Mac App Store - no, I am not the developer)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keypad/id928906884?mt=12