dial up/cable connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ycnan, Mar 22, 2008.

1. ycnan macrumors newbie

First off, I did try searching for answers to my questions with no luck. So thank you ahead of time for your time and help. :)

I recently bought my first Mac, a Macbook. I will be out of town staying at a hotel(Marriott) for several weeks. I have 2 options for internet connection in my room, dial up and broadband. What do I need to buy to connect to the internet in my room? Is there a separate cable for dial up than for broadband?

I am currently reading more into the whole cell phone internet connection, but in case that doesn't work I need to connect to the internet somehow. I will pretty much be using my macbook for my online college classes and pretty much a form of entertainment.

Thanks again for your help.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If they don't offer wireless(which is rare if they don't) you can pick up a 6' RJ45 ethernet cable for a buck at your nearest dollar store to hook up to their broadband connection. To use the dial-up connection, you will need your own dial-up internet service provider, but that is so 20th century :p.

You can use your cell phone as a modem but that can get expensive for the data charges unless you get a plan. Do you have a bluetooth phone? Because you can link your phone to your MacBook that way.

3. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

also if u go for the dial up option you will need Apples eternal dial up modem which is about £30 .... dont know what that in in $$$$

4. ycnan thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you

I will probably avoid dial up. My phone does have bluetooth, but I don't have the actual blue tooth ear piece. I'm not sure if that matters.

Thanks for your help.