Dial-up modem for a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johntommybob, Feb 27, 2012.

1. johntommybob macrumors member

I happen to in the hill country of East Tennessee, in a spot, while not so remote, that has become an island where hi-speed internet is not available unless it is wireless, or by satellite. I have not opted as yet to go either of those routes. At home I use a USRobotics modem, model 5637, to connect to the internet on my 13" laptop.

My G4 desktop has a built in modem and connects at about 50k. On the G4 the internet app shows me the connection speed.

It would appear that the G4 downloads faster than the new laptop with the USB modem. Is there a way to check connection speed on the lap top. Seems like I remember someone telling me there was.

Thanks, Clay

2. AwesomeKevin macrumors newbie

What you can do is you can go to a website called SpeedTest.net and preform a Internet Speed test on both your computers to find out which one has a faster connection speed.

-Kevin

3. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

I tried a speed test site and the G4 modem is a little faster. It's not huge but it is faster. That could be because I had to jury rig a phone line where I wanted to use the laptop. I'll try it in a different place. But I was hoping there was a way to get the lap top to tell me.

Thanks

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

That website is A+ service

5. camardelle macrumors 6502

I jumped to satellite several years back. While it has its quirks/limitations, it sure beats the you know what out of dial up. Make the switch, you won't regret it.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Assuming you can go wireless, I would opt for that. The USB dongle that accompanies the service is fairly discrete, plus you will then have the internet wherever you take your laptop. You should also be able to share your internet connection with your G4 (I have not done this, but I believe this is the case.)

The extra money will be worth it for the speed boost. Assuming this IS an option where you live, it will be much better than being tied down to satellite internet.

You didn't mention if DSL is an option. Don't forget that possibility.

I'm recommending all these other options because dial-up is just so gosh darn slow and there are so many better options out there for essentially the same price as cable broadband service.

7. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

I can go wireless. I live fairly close to the interstate and both ATT and Verizon signals are strong here. I cannot get DSL by either Phone line or cable. Funny, I went to the Apple Store intent on buying an iPad the other day. I liked the way you can get wireless on it on a month to month basis as our high-speed needs are modest. We wanted it for Facetime or Skype to talk to our grandchildren who live hundreds of miles away. The Apple rep was honest and said "Forget it, the connection speed is not fast enough to do Facetime". Said we would be just as well off to take the laptop to a hot WiFi spot and use it. As I said our needs are modest. We don't don't download songs, or videos, or movies, and utube is fun, but a bit frivolous.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can't FaceTime via 3G anyways...

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can if you jailbreak it. ;)

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Satellite service is expensive, has data transfer limits and some features such as Skype, iChat and remote Mac interfaces may not work properly due to the latency caused by the time it takes for the data stream to make the round-trip between the satellite and the earth-bound computer.

11. camardelle macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more, but it beats dial up.

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I suppose so... if you can live with a maximum 1Mbps download speed and a 250MB data cap every 24 hours for $50/month. And the data transfer speeds are not guaranteed and will probably be slower during peak hours. Of course, you can pay more if you wish.

http://www.hughesnet.com/residential-satellite-internet/plans.cfm

13. camardelle macrumors 6502

Living with the cap is easier than suffering through dial up speeds. Sometimes the bad that you take is better than the best of the alternative. LOL

14. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

15. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Dial up... That brings back memories, not all of them good!