Dial up on MacBook. Help and Advice please.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Garth AM, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Garth AM macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new MacBook, should be here tomorrow in fact. I live in rural Pennsylvania and at my house Dial-up is the only internet medium. I am in wireless areas enough to update my current PC and will also do the same with my Mac. I am understanding I need an external modem to connect to dial up, but beyond that I am not sure how to get my Mac online at home.

Anyone who can give me advice, tips, or point me in the right direction I would be very thankful to.

I currently use People PC online, since it's only 10$ a month. I am wondering if this will work on my Macbook or if I will need a new provider.

Thanks in advance. MacRumors is tremendously helpful for a newbie like me.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

A USB modem will work with a typical dial up provider.
    As you are no doubt aware the only reason Macs no longer ship with dial up is from lack of demand.
    They're still capable of using a modem connection in Leopard System Preferences>Network.

Check here too.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

... and Apple no longer sells their USB modem. You'll have to get a used one, or find a third-party modem that's Mac compatible.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

5. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

no i think this is what you need

6. Salmar macrumors regular

I don't have cable or DSL available in my area either. But if you have good cell phone service from Sprint or Verizon you can get their mobile high speed broadband service. I've been using Sprint's mobile broadband USB modem in my iMac for two years now and it works very well but it's not cheap. It costs 60 bucks a month but to me it's well worth it to not have to deal with a dial up service. The USB modem just plugs into a USB port on my iMac and connects thru Sprint's cell phone towers just like my cell phone. Of course if you don't have good cell phone connection where you are it won't work very well.

7. Garth AM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. I am still waiting for my MacBook, thanks to Snow Leopard Apple shipments seem to be bogged down. But it's an apple, so the waiting is worth it, right? We have tried the hughesnet before, but honestly where I live the satelite connections is awful and in the end it's about the same speed of dial up. Cell service is also very spotty to nonexistent at time. But i'll get an external modem and deal with dial-up for now. Thanks for the help.