Dial Up?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dialupdolly, Apr 24, 2011.

1. dialupdolly macrumors newbie

We are leaving soon to spend several months in a part of northern Canada that doesn't yet have high speed internet. Sat is too expensive for a short stay so dial up is the only option.

I have a Macbook (10.6.7) and the phone company technician said to buy a usb modem from Staples. But after searching this forum, it doesn't sound like this will necessarily work. Also, can my husband use his Acer laptop at the same time as I'm using my Macbook?

We have several elderly macs lying around (a mini, a powerbook G4) and an Asus eee that runs linux. Also we recently bought new Kindles (not the G3 kind). Will any of these work with what we can buy at Staples?

On Ebay, I found: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Genuine-Apple-US...t=AU_Modems&hash=item2a0a58f38d#ht_2859wt_884

Any advice appreciated! It would be a drag to get there and find out we can't get online w/o a long trip to the nearest town for a different kind of modem.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

That modem you found on ebay will do the job for you, i used to use one with my macbook which was running 10.6.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The PowerBook G4 you have has an internal modem, which you can use for dial-up. You can use more than one computer on dial-up at a time if you have the computer with dial-up access share internet to other computers on the network. However, dial-up is so slow that it's not really worth it.

There's no way to use a USB modem with a Kindle since the Kindle doesn't have a USB port for anything other than sync and other similar functions.

4. dialupdolly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

The local Staples carries (but was out of) a usb modem that says it will work with my Mac and will be back in stock within 7 to 10 days. The price is $ 90 which makes the one from China look tempting but ya know what?! - I think I'll try the my old Powerbook G4. Yes, I left it on the back of my truck last year and then ran over it but :D it still works despite the dints and cracks.

Thanks for your responses.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

The Apple USB modem you're looking at will work fine, I've used one in the past (I think I still have two). They're on ebay like this one. I have also seen these modems on Craigslist a few times.