Dialing a number from an SMS.. how?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xanders, Jun 16, 2011.

1. xanders macrumors member

How does one "edit before dial" on an Iphone? :confused: I received an SMS with a phone number, I click on it takes me to the dialer but how does one add prefix for dialing out? Is there a way to do this? Other than the tedious way of saving the number and editing it in the Contacts then dialing. Sometimes you don't want to save a number. Do I need some tweak from Cydia? Or is there an App? If someone could guide me would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Why would you need to also dial a prefix if you've already received a text from the same number? you should be able to just hit "Call"

Edit: Wait, nevermind. I didn't understand what you were asking at first. I can't really think of a way to do this without first trying to call the number and then using the phone app to edit it. You don't necessarily have to ad it to you contacts.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yeah i was wonder this also, well in a differnt way, i hate then i dial a number and realize the middle didgit is wrong and i can move the cursor to the number you have to delete them to get to that point

4. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I should clarify, this happens when sometimes someone sends you a phone number via an SMS. In India when you call a landline via mobile you need to add the area code even if its the local area you are dialing. Area codes in India begin with a 0 (or a +91) followed by area digits and then the phone number. So if the SMS has like XXXXXXXX number one needs to add a 0XX (or +91XX) to dial it.

5. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can copy the number, go to the keypad in Phone, enter the prefix and then paste. That's the quickest way I know of.

6. seble macrumors 6502a

Doesn't it just replace the number ?

7. Scott90 macrumors 6502

You're right, it does. Well, guess there isn't really an easy way to do this then...

8. xanders thread starter macrumors member

What a tedious way of doing it, my previous phone a Windows 6 phone had a "edit before call" option. Ah well Iphone is the hottest "phone"! :p

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, it's funny. There are some features that just blow you away and make you think "wow, I just did that on my cell phone!" and then you run across those pesky missing features that you had on an old razr or windows mobile yet still aren't on the iPhone that make you scratch your head.

10. TheXFactor macrumors regular

Coming from android and how easy it is to do this and until apple get's their heads out of their butts, here's what I do.

Copy the phone number. Open up notes, input the correct prefix. Copy the entire number and paste into the dialer. I do it all the time because people send me numbers without the area code. I keep a note with some of the area codes I need to use.

11. xanders thread starter macrumors member

Guess this is the best solution then... wonder if this problem is addressed in the new iOS 5?