Diassembling topcover to swap keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thephaser, May 4, 2008.

1. thephaser macrumors newbie

hi,

anyone around who already tried to exchange the us-keyboard against one with a different language (i. e. german, spanish or whatever it may be)?

from ifixit.com it looks like it's necessary to deconstruct almost the whole computer to get to the topcover. is there any way to remove only the topcover? i've already have the right new keyboard here (which comes with the full topcover).

thanx

2. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Would like to see if this is easy and possible as well.

3. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I wonder what the Macbook Air would look like with the MacBook's white keys?

I actually like the look of the wireless keyboard and I'm assuming they'd look similar.

I know this isn't what you want to do but I was just throwing it out to see if anyone has seen this done.

EDIT: I actually like the look A LOT. Someone should piece one of these together for me.

Attached Files:

4. crobbins macrumors 6502

I would love to see the genius bar reaction if you took your computer in for an issue sometime and they saw the white keys on it instead of black..

5. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Your goal would sooo have to be trying to convince them that that's how you got it =P

6. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

I didn't like the black keys the moment I saw the keynote address, but when you actually have the unit, it does somehow "work."

But looking at iJesus' pic, that does look really darn cool. Where can we find white keys that have the letters opaque though? The keyboard backlight just isn't the same if you can't see the letters!

7. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Well, the only way to keep the backlit keys would be to remove all the black paint off the Air's keys, apply tiny letter stickers to all the keys (So you can remove them later), paint the keys white, remove the stickers, voila!... more trouble than it's worth though. You'd have one unique computer though!

EDIT: I'd imagine if you used semi-transparent white paint you'd get some AWESOME looking keys that would glow too. Like the attached picture.

Attached Files:

8. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

Ahh, if only Photoshop worked in real life... Image > Invert :D

9. clin86 macrumors regular

i actually tried removing the keys off the wireless keyboards but apparently the scissors were made differently. and it looks weird with the backlit on. i think you need to use the keys from the white macbooks.

10. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

iJesus that MBA looks pretty bad ass in black I think. I wonder if they'll find a way to make it in black without small scratches showing the base color.

Blackbooks have shown that people are definitely willing to pay more for black, so I'd imagine it must be the manufacturing process that is preventing Apple from expanding the concept to more of their portables.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Silver is a more 'airy' colour. Black hard-ano is perfectly possible, but it would look bigger - which is not a good thing when they're advertising 'thin'.

12. poisonapple macrumors member

so much for black being slimming heh heh heh :D:D:D