Dication

EldoInTheWeeds

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Me too. I like this new dictation thing because my typing really sucks. it seems to work better than the Google one I downloaded earlier.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Im curious how this works on facebook? can you say a status update and it will type it for you and same goes for writing on someones wall/timeline and facebook chat?

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I said this in another thread, but the dictation works awesome on this thing. Been using it all day to send emails and messages.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I'm not the clearest speaker, but this dictation works really well — it hasn't messed up one word yet. See, this whole comment was typed with dictation.

And it works great with Facebook, anywhere you can put text you can use dictation to enter the text with your voice.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Im curious how this works on facebook? can you say a status update and it will type it for you and same goes for writing on someones wall/timeline and facebook chat?
Sure. It works anywhere that you would normally type. I can tell I'm going to be using this quite a bit.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
It's awesome I don't have full rotation in my right arm so it's easier for me to write messages without straining my arm.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I feel like I'm going to be using this feature so much. Beats having to type out everything. :D

importluva

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
This dictation thing works surprisingly well. I got a movie running in the background and most of the time it successfully picks up what I'm saying.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Does dictation require a network connection?
Good question, not sure though! I'm almost sure that most apps don't support it, yet!

I like voice dictation though. I don't use it with my iPhone because I don't surf the net frequently. Voice dictation definitely comes in handy. It is a great addition to post onto forums. He he

Edit: I stand corrected, as one can use it whenever a keyboard is available! Sweet!

Last edited:

iHeartsteve

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2012
I think yes, the interpretation is done on a remote server, not on the iPad itself.
Yep your right. I think that's a shame, although we all will most likely have wifi or 4g, it should be something internal not relying on third party or Internet connection.