Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Spoilers "Dickinson" Discussion Thread (May Contain Spoilers)

kurtatx

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Watched the pilot of this already. It's a very surprising take on a period piece. I found it generally enjoyable. Looks like all the episodes are already available and reviews highlight this as a surprisingly good show.
Rotten Tomatoes: 83%
Metacritic: 68%

dickinsonposter.jpg

Ideanj

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2013
Seen episode one so far and I’m enjoying it more than I expected I would!

Comment

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I just watched episode 4. I wish the description of the episode didn't spoil who was playing Thoreau, but he was fantastic. I'm loving this show more with each episode.

Comment

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
Just got around to watching the premiere of this. Another mega-high quality show. Super intriguing and lots of style. PQ is also off the charts. The kind of dark scenes where any other streaming service would be crippled with artefacts, smearing and banding.

Apple TV+ continues to impress!

Comment

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I tried watching episode one but turned it off after 30 minutes. I love period piece content, but this doesn’t one I did not like.

Comment

dwfaust

macrumors 604
Jul 3, 2011
I tried watching episode one but turned it off after 30 minutes. I love period piece content, but this doesn’t one I did not like.

It's a 30 minute show... so... and I actually quite like this one...

Last edited:
Reactions: StyxMaker
Comment

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
It seems more like "A Knight's Tale"(2001) where the period piece has modern music and language.

I thought it was okay, but seemed like they were "trying too hard"...
You are exactly right. It does seem that they’re trying too hard.
[automerge]1573411371[/automerge]
If you turned it off after 30 minutes, you watched all of it.
Lol. Ok, then I guess I turned it off after 15 minutes!

Comment

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Who ever created the promo for the show needs to be fired. judging from that alone, I would say the show was ****. But actually it’s really really good. I was impressed. Glad I gave it a chance. Can’t wait for season two.

Reactions: netnothing
Comment

Jim Lahey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
I'm very much into this show now. Up to episode 7. Totally unique and very entertaining. Surprisingly complex characters once it gets going.

8/10 - highly recommended :cool:

Reactions: Meuti
Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
The second season is back and it's as good as the first, if not better.

The writing is just so good and the cast delivers them so well. I love how Dickinson's poems tie to the story, beautifully supplemented by bright golden text and so lyrically recited.

I realize the series takes a significant departure from the actual events. It is highly stylized anachronistic "dramedy" after all. Yet the series strangely feels so true.

Reactions: Ideanj
Comment

pmiles

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2013
Season 1 was better... first three episodes of season 2 didn't seem to do it for me. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Season 1 was better... first three episodes of season 2 didn't seem to do it for me. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.
I loved the second season premiere. But two subsequent episodes were just fine.

My feeling is perhaps compounded by Sue, who is very different from the first season (episodes imply miscarriage from her former employer was the cause). According to Wikipedia, "generous dowry from her brothers" funded decorating Evergreens house. But these two episodes depict her as a socialite lavishly spending her husband's money.

Preview of the next episode looks very promising, however. So I remain optimistic.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.