Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Watched the pilot of this already. It's a very surprising take on a period piece. I found it generally enjoyable. Looks like all the episodes are already available and reviews highlight this as a surprisingly good show.
Rotten Tomatoes: 83%
Metacritic: 68%

dickinsonposter.jpg

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Seen episode one so far and I’m enjoying it more than I expected I would!

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I just watched episode 4. I wish the description of the episode didn't spoil who was playing Thoreau, but he was fantastic. I'm loving this show more with each episode.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Just got around to watching the premiere of this. Another mega-high quality show. Super intriguing and lots of style. PQ is also off the charts. The kind of dark scenes where any other streaming service would be crippled with artefacts, smearing and banding.

Apple TV+ continues to impress!

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I tried watching episode one but turned it off after 30 minutes. I love period piece content, but this doesn’t one I did not like.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
It seems more like "A Knight's Tale"(2001) where the period piece has modern music and language.

I thought it was okay, but seemed like they were "trying too hard"...
You are exactly right. It does seem that they’re trying too hard.
[automerge]1573411371[/automerge]
If you turned it off after 30 minutes, you watched all of it.
Lol. Ok, then I guess I turned it off after 15 minutes!

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Who ever created the promo for the show needs to be fired. judging from that alone, I would say the show was ****. But actually it’s really really good. I was impressed. Glad I gave it a chance. Can’t wait for season two.

Reactions: netnothing

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I'm very much into this show now. Up to episode 7. Totally unique and very entertaining. Surprisingly complex characters once it gets going.

8/10 - highly recommended :cool:

Reactions: Meuti

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The second season is back and it's as good as the first, if not better.

The writing is just so good and the cast delivers them so well. I love how Dickinson's poems tie to the story, beautifully supplemented by bright golden text and so lyrically recited.

I realize the series takes a significant departure from the actual events. It is highly stylized anachronistic "dramedy" after all. Yet the series strangely feels so true.

Reactions: Ideanj

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Season 1 was better... first three episodes of season 2 didn't seem to do it for me. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Season 1 was better... first three episodes of season 2 didn't seem to do it for me. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.
I loved the second season premiere. But two subsequent episodes were just fine.

My feeling is perhaps compounded by Sue, who is very different from the first season (episodes imply miscarriage from her former employer was the cause). According to Wikipedia, "generous dowry from her brothers" funded decorating Evergreens house. But these two episodes depict her as a socialite lavishly spending her husband's money.

Preview of the next episode looks very promising, however. So I remain optimistic.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I finished watching the second season. All in all, the second season wasn't as magical as the first episode.

In the first season, Sue was Emily's muse and I loved all the world and character building.

This season shifts focus from Sue to fame. That just didn't quite work for me. The final episode explains Sue's sudden change, but it felt rushed and forced.

Still, the writing is still very snappy, helped by impeccable performance from amazing cast (especially Hailee Steinfeld, Toby Huss, Jane Krakowski, and Adrian Enscoe, and Darlene Hunt). Each episode just flies by, always pleasant and music to my ears.

I look forward to the third season. I am guessing it will focus on Civil War and Emily becoming more withdrawn and a recluse.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
About to finish season 3. Like it thus far. An "alternative take" is something I'm always interested in. I got curious and had to look up a couple of facts:
1) such as they did indeed have matches back then (first invented in 1805).
2) Or Lavinia commenting "we don't have indoor plumbing" wasn't some theoretical request (like us wishing we had flying cars or space elevators). The state of MA first got plumbing in 1829, but ofc. it would take longer for other areas to get that installed.

My ATV+ is set to expire, so it was between this and WeCrash. I've been alternating between drama and comedy, so ended up picking this as my last pick to balance things out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.