Dictation and privacy statement

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
When you use the keyboard dictation feature on your device, the things you dictate will be recorded and sent to Apple to convert what you say into text. Your device will also send Apple other information, such as your first name and nickname; the names, nicknames, and relationship with you (e.g., “my dad”) of your address book contacts; and song names in your collection (collectively, your “User Data”). All of this data is used to help the dictation feature understand you better and recognize what you say. It is not linked to other data that Apple may have from your use of other Apple services.*

Information collected by Apple will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy, which can be found at www.apple.com/privacy.

You may choose to turn off the dictation feature at any time. To do so, open Settings, tap General, tap Keyboard, and slide the Dictation switch to “off”. If you turn off Dictation, Apple will delete your User Data, as well as your recent voice input data. Older voice input data that has been disassociated from you may be retained for a period of time to generally improve Dictation and other Apple products and services. This voice input data may include audio files and transcripts of what you said and related diagnostic data, such as hardware and operating system specifications and performance statistics.

You can also restrict the ability to use Dictation altogether under the Restrictions Setting.
Not sure of what I think about this.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This is nothing new. It's pretty much the same Privacy Agreement the Dragon Dictation app has as well as Siri. The dictation is being processed via Apple's servers, not onboard. Notice if you turn off WiFi and 4G dictation isn't available. Nothing nefarious is going on. If you feel uncomfortable turn the feature off.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
It sounds reasonable to me.

After all, Apple is not in the business of advertising, so they have no incentive to do anything nefarious with your personal data. This is the same kind of information that Siri needs to do the artificial intelligence thing, and Apple takes privacy matters very seriously so personally, I'm not concerned about it.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Unfortunately, upon reading that, dictation is out of the question. Sucks, was excited about that feature, but I would be a complete fool to dictate notes and what I do (for a living) into some anonymous data mine that exists to "improve my user experience". :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, not the paranoid type here, but not that naive.

If not for these types of loopholes / security risks - the iPad has the ability to completely transform the manufacturing industry, except no company in their right mind, would trust their IP to terms as vague as those in the existing EULA.

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I'm also not trying to stir the "conspiracy pot" but this statement is worded such that Apple believes we're idiots.

"All of this data is used to help the dictation feature understand you better and recognize what you say..."

I mean are they to have us believe that speech recognition somehow performs better when it has access to the names of the songs on your iPad? With me it's just that the more I'm lied to the less I tend to trust someone. This statement just removes a point or two from the "trust bank"...

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I mean are they to have us believe that speech recognition somehow performs better when it has access to the names of the songs on your iPad? With me it's just that the more I'm lied to the less I tend to trust someone. This statement just removes a point or two from the "trust bank"...
It has access to Contacts and song names because when you mention someone or a song in say, an iMessage or email, it knows what you are talking about and actually gets it right.

Would you rather it guesses what people are trying to say based on no knowledge or context. Contacts and music, among other things, provide context.

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
It has access to Contacts and song names because when you mention someone or a song in say, an iMessage or email, it knows what you are talking about and actually gets it right.
Then why doesn't Apple say that in their statement? Personally I would be much more comfortable if they simply explicitly stated how the information was to be used.

Would you rather it guesses what people are trying to say based on no knowledge or context. Contacts and music, among other things, provide context.
Yes. My contacts should stay on my device.

----------

Activate the tin hats.
So you really don't know the purpose of a tin hat(?).:confused:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Then why doesn't Apple say that in their statement? Personally I would be much more comfortable if they simply explicitly stated how the information was to be used.
Because they cannot list every possible circumstance where it would need to access that information - it isn't even possible to know all the possible circumstances.

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Because they cannot list every possible circumstance where it would need to access that information - it isn't even possible to know all the possible circumstances.
Huh? I have no idea what you just said. Why do they need to list every possible circumstance?

Just give us an option in settings.

A) When using dictation NO personal information is sent to Apple.
B) When using dictation personal information will be sent to Apple.

I'm willing to bet option A will suite me just fine.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Just to show how I am not afraid I am dictating this from my iPad: my Social Security number is 437 – 86 – 8429.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Huh? I have no idea what you just said. Why do they need to list every possible circumstance?

Just give us an option in settings.

A) When using dictation NO personal information is sent to Apple.
B) When using dictation personal information will be sent to Apple.

I'm willing to bet option A will suite me just fine.
Because that is not how Apple works. Options can make things confusing and lessen the user experience.