Dictation and privacy statement

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Mar 18, 2012.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Not sure of what I think about this.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

This is nothing new. It's pretty much the same Privacy Agreement the Dragon Dictation app has as well as Siri. The dictation is being processed via Apple's servers, not onboard. Notice if you turn off WiFi and 4G dictation isn't available. Nothing nefarious is going on. If you feel uncomfortable turn the feature off.

4. gatearray macrumors 65816

It sounds reasonable to me.

After all, Apple is not in the business of advertising, so they have no incentive to do anything nefarious with your personal data. This is the same kind of information that Siri needs to do the artificial intelligence thing, and Apple takes privacy matters very seriously so personally, I'm not concerned about it.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Unfortunately, upon reading that, dictation is out of the question. Sucks, was excited about that feature, but I would be a complete fool to dictate notes and what I do (for a living) into some anonymous data mine that exists to "improve my user experience". :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, not the paranoid type here, but not that naive.

If not for these types of loopholes / security risks - the iPad has the ability to completely transform the manufacturing industry, except no company in their right mind, would trust their IP to terms as vague as those in the existing EULA.

6. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Once you decide what you think about this maybe post back and let us all know.
    In the meantime relax and enjoy your iPad.

7. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

8. dffdce macrumors member

I'm also not trying to stir the "conspiracy pot" but this statement is worded such that Apple believes we're idiots.

"All of this data is used to help the dictation feature understand you better and recognize what you say..."

I mean are they to have us believe that speech recognition somehow performs better when it has access to the names of the songs on your iPad? With me it's just that the more I'm lied to the less I tend to trust someone. This statement just removes a point or two from the "trust bank"...

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It has access to Contacts and song names because when you mention someone or a song in say, an iMessage or email, it knows what you are talking about and actually gets it right.

Would you rather it guesses what people are trying to say based on no knowledge or context. Contacts and music, among other things, provide context.

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

11. dffdce macrumors member

Then why doesn't Apple say that in their statement? Personally I would be much more comfortable if they simply explicitly stated how the information was to be used.

Yes. My contacts should stay on my device.

----------

So you really don't know the purpose of a tin hat(?).:confused:

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because they cannot list every possible circumstance where it would need to access that information - it isn't even possible to know all the possible circumstances.

13. dffdce macrumors member

Huh? I have no idea what you just said. Why do they need to list every possible circumstance?

Just give us an option in settings.

A) When using dictation NO personal information is sent to Apple.
    B) When using dictation personal information will be sent to Apple.

I'm willing to bet option A will suite me just fine.

14. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Just to show how I am not afraid I am dictating this from my iPad: my Social Security number is 437 – 86 – 8429.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because that is not how Apple works. Options can make things confusing and lessen the user experience.

16. dffdce macrumors member

Oh that's right, I forgot, options are BAD. Silly me.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm not arguing that Apple is right, just that it is the reality of how they work.