Dictation kicks ass

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Angus9541, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Angus9541 macrumors member

Just used dictation in notes to test Bloc Party and block of wood, 100% accurate. Is it cause I have a bloc party album in my itunes or is this just an awesome ass feature?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Voice dictation is using the same system as Siri. It will recognize peoples names if they are in your address book....famous people if they exist (it actually spelled Max Payne correctly for me!!) and products and such. It really is an amazing feature. I use it all the time on my phone...now I use it all the time on my macbook.

Siri total system control will be next in Mac...I can't wait!

3. markp99 macrumors member

It cannot resolve my wife's name "Leigh" - always resolves to "Lee"

Any way to train the SW?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wouldn't it be easier for your wife to change her name?

Seriously though, since the names are phonically the same, can you either spell it out or manually change it? (I don't use Dictation or Siri so I'm not sure how it actually "learns")

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

if you add her to your address book it should resolve it...the problem tho is if you just say her first name it will more than likely still say Lee since they are pronounced the same. If you say first and last name that is in your address book tho, it will spell it right. Otherwise, no.

6. Angus9541 thread starter macrumors member

I'm finding this far more accurate than Siri, yesterday I even had a coughing fit in between dictation and when I'd finished I was amazed that the sentence was complete with no crap in the middle. Even dictating and I'm pausing to think for quite some time, continue, hit enter and it's almost on the button every time, absolutely amazing!

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Its the same software, but the microphone (dual mic actually) is a LOT better than the iPhone mic.

8. ryane67 macrumors member

I've really enjoyed dictation to.

typed with dictation :)

9. GGJstudios, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Go to Address Book > Preferences > Template
    Click "Add Field" and select "Phonetic First/Last Name"
    You should now be able to enter a phonetic first name (Lee) in your wife's Address Book entry.

Unfortunately, the Address Book will sort using the phonetic name, rather than the real name, unless someone knows of a solution to that.