Dictation (multiple languages)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jmmo20, Apr 28, 2015.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    Unfortunately I don't have an apple watch yet. I was looking at a youtube video right now and a thought occurred to me. Can the Apple watch handle multiple dictation languages?

In the iphone you can change the dictation language by simply swapping keyboard languages. System-wide Siri however is single language. (you have to set it up in Settings).

But what about the messages app on the apple watch. Would I be able to reply in English, Spanish or German depending on the language of the incoming text?

2. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

the pre-canned responses and dictation languages are set based on the language of the keyboard selected for that conversation in the messages app on your phone.

3. 3under2 macrumors regular

3under2

This has not been my experience. Whatever language my messages keyboard happens to be on, is the dictation language that my watch pics up. I often text in one language and dictate in another so this is somewhat an issue for me. I try and remember to have my sms keyboard on English even though I am writing in Swedish (only 3 different letters), but sometimes I forget. I then go to dictate or respond to a sms in English and it get's all messed up ... Sheesh! FWP :).

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

No, only one language. There may be some single terms available in English even though the dictation is on other language, but not the whole sentences.