Dictation not available?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CNeufeld, Mar 16, 2012.

1. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Thought it should just be there automagically, but nope. Not in messages, not in a text field like I'm typing in now... Someone in an apple forum mentioned they had to enable their 3G connection on their iPhone, but my SIM is in transit.

Anyone else having similar issues?

C

2. xak macrumors regular

I'm assuming you're connected to the internet, because I'm certain it is required just like it is for Siri...

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm dictating this from my new iPad right now. When I first turned it on it asked me if I wanted to enable dictation and I said yes. I also enabled my Wi-Fi so I can obviously get on Internet. Did you enable dictation on yours?

4. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Did you turn it on in Settings-General-Keyboard? It isn't on by default if you're restoring from an old iPad like Siri was with the 4S.

5. Lumpy05 macrumors member

No, its working great. Did it ask you if you wanted to use voice dictation during the setup? It did for me. I am using it over wifi and 3G with no issues, it works well.

6. CNeufeld thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. Apparently I haven't enabled the dictation when I setup my iPad, or it got reverted when I restored my old iPad's backup. I had gone through the settings but hadn't seen that one in particular. It's working fine now!

C

7. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I must mumble a lot because it doesn't dictate my words properly.

I stand corrected