Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to open applications and set reminders via using the dictation shortcut (just got me rMBP, kinda loving it!!)?

Thanks,

kftrainer

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to open applications and set reminders via using the dictation shortcut (just got me rMBP, kinda loving it!!)?

Thanks,

Using dictation for this post, I will like to know that as well

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Not the dictation function per se, but Mac OS X has had this function since the beginning (actually, since before OS X). They've moved it in Mountain Lion (possibly before), but it still exists.

Open System Preferences, and click on Accessibility. Click Speakable Items on the left, and set a listening key (note that you cannot use the same shortcut as dictation, but you could potentially just hold down the function key instead of double tapping or a similar command if you chose). Then, you can say "Open Safari" or any other application you want and it will launch it. You can also click on the Commands tab in that window to see the other things you can say. It's not nearly as advanced as Siri, and less accurate, but it does work well enough once you train it.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.