Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Is it just me or is Siri dictation and, by extension, working with text completely messed up in iOS 16 (at least on the iPhone 14 Pro)?

- poor speech recognition/interpretation of what I am saying then in any prior iOS version (which was usually pretty good)
- sudden default rule to inserting an Oxford comma pretty much anywhere you say the word “or“ (along with the other random punctuation insertions)
- inconsistent insertion of a period after double tapping space, and the failure to capitalize the first letter of the first word following the period (while dictating this very message, I saw that it also failed to capitalize The first word of an entirely new paragraph as well. But as you can see it randomly capitalized the word “the“ elsewhere in the middle of this very sentence)
- the dictate button on my iPhone 14 Pro no longer seems to “latch“ - oftentimes I will press it and it will immediately turn back off which I don’t realize until I have dictated something for a little while and noticed that none of it has been picked up.
- trying to move the cursor around in a block of text by holding the spacebar is very inaccurate and unresponsive. Tapping the space in the text where you want the cursor to go doesn’t seem to work anymore and instead just brings up the “cut/copy“ menu.

Anyone else having similar issues? (Sorry if this is covered elsewhere – I looked over the forum and also did a search for “dictation“ but didn’t see anything on this specific issue. If I missed a thread, mods, please direct me to it and delete this.)

Mike

Reactions: MacGit

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Most of the above yes apart from dictation function sticking on or off. Otherwise it’s garbage and yet another step back from an already poor experience.

rebelsax

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
Since I’ve upgraded to 16.0.3 on my 11Pro Max dictation has completely stopped working.

MacGit

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, England
Yes all of that. Plus Siri no longer reads back your text message before offering to send. Probably THE worst Siri version since time began and probably the worst iOS.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Yes all of that. Plus Siri no longer reads back your text message before offering to send. Probably THE worst Siri version since time began and probably the worst iOS
Yes all of that. Plus Siri no longer reads back your text message before offering to send. Probably THE worst Siri version since time began and probably the worst iOS.
there is a setting for that function Under General>Siri & Search>Automatically send messages.

MacGit

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, England
No it’s not that I’m afraid. I’ve been down that road and it’s a dead end. This is a completely different issue. As I said in my post, Siri used to read back your message before offering to send or change it. Siri no longer reads back your message. The setting you’re talking about is a different thing altogether where you can set it, so that Siri just sends the message without asking for your Verification. And as you can see from this text, Siri also is now set to place punctuation in the wrong place and capitalised words inappropriately. The system is completely and utterly buggered.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
No it’s not that I’m afraid. I’ve been down that road and it’s a dead end. This is a completely different issue. As I said in my post, Siri used to read back your message before offering to send or change it. Siri no longer reads back your message. The setting you’re talking about is a different thing altogether where you can set it, so that Siri just sends the message without asking for your Verification. And as you can see from this text, Siri also is now set to place punctuation in the wrong place and capitalised words inappropriately. The system is completely and utterly buggered.
Actually, I found the solution to this issue – referring to the one where random punctuation is inserted in dictation.

Settings -General - Keyboards. Under dictation, disable the “auto punctuation“ toggle.

I actually found out about this in an article about similar settings on the Apple Watch. I disabled it both on my watch and on my phone and have had no issues simce with random punctuation.

dougfiveo

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2022
Is it just me or is Siri dictation and, by extension, working with text completely messed up in iOS 16 (at least on the iPhone 14 Pro)?

- poor speech recognition/interpretation of what I am saying then in any prior iOS version (which was usually pretty good)
- sudden default rule to inserting an Oxford comma pretty much anywhere you say the word “or“ (along with the other random punctuation insertions)
- inconsistent insertion of a period after double tapping space, and the failure to capitalize the first letter of the first word following the period (while dictating this very message, I saw that it also failed to capitalize The first word of an entirely new paragraph as well. But as you can see it randomly capitalized the word “the“ elsewhere in the middle of this very sentence)
- the dictate button on my iPhone 14 Pro no longer seems to “latch“ - oftentimes I will press it and it will immediately turn back off which I don’t realize until I have dictated something for a little while and noticed that none of it has been picked up.
- trying to move the cursor around in a block of text by holding the spacebar is very inaccurate and unresponsive. Tapping the space in the text where you want the cursor to go doesn’t seem to work anymore and instead just brings up the “cut/copy“ menu.

Anyone else having similar issues? (Sorry if this is covered elsewhere – I looked over the forum and also did a search for “dictation“ but didn’t see anything on this specific issue. If I missed a thread, mods, please direct me to it and delete this.)

Mike
Same here. Ridiculous

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I’ve been noticing really poor dictation with my M1 iPad Pro. It has three microphones if I’m not mistaken; how is it messing up simple phrases? I get the weirdest words inserted sometimes that make no sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.