Dictionary.app slow search??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon08, Jun 29, 2014.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

I use a whole bunch of English and Chinese dictionaries in my Dictionary app on Mavericks, but lately I've noticed that it crawls when I perform a search esp. for ENGLISH words longer than 4 letters or so. It used to work just fine on Snow Leopard would display definitions pretty much instantaneously, but now it often takes more than just a couple of secs to display the definition on Mavericks.

Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it crawls.

What could be the reason? I use Crucial SSD and did a fresh install of Mavericks cca. 2 months ago.

Is there anything I could do? (Like delete Dictionary cache or something?)

----------

For example, I just tried typing "exceptional" and it took over 10 secs before it finally displayed.

Would it be possible to prevent Dictionary app from displaying the definitions instantaneously as you are typing, but rather wait until you finish typing and then display the definition in the instant when you stop typing?

2. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I've just tried it with "exceptional" and it was instant as I was typing it.

Barney

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's often instant for me as well, but then again, it often crawls as well...which definitely bothers me...