Dictionary 'Define' no longer appearing in Messages/Safari/Mail/etc.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by apb89, Nov 2, 2012.

1. apb89, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

apb89 macrumors regular

It appears that my iPhone 5 no longer shows the 'Define' button when I double tap a word to look up the meaning. 'Define' used to appear next to 'Suggestions'; this is no longer the case.

Anyone have any input as to how I can get Dictionary back; I don't seem to be able to locate anything in the settings pertaining to it. Any help is greatly appreciate.

Here is what appears when I try to define any word, in this case, 'Hello':

Attached Files:

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

3. apb89 thread starter macrumors regular

4. jlhx macrumors newbie

Not sure what you're talking about. I updated yesterday to 6.0.1 and I can still define in messages, safari, and mail. You can't define the messages that have already been sent but you can copy and paste that on to Notes and define it there. And you can define anything you type too.

5. apb89 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand everything you have said; I know I cannot define an already sent message. Check the screenshot I posted in the OP to see an example. I cannot define in notes, or any other app, for that matter. The option just does not appear to me.

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

That's pretty strange. I updated as well but can still access the "Define" option in all Messages scenarios (new message w/ no recipient, iMessage, Text Message).

EDIT: This little maneuver may help (can't test myself as I don't have this issue):

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19760851#19760851

Not sure how you're not sure what the OP is talking about. But, to help you understand, take a look at the initial post, including the attached image. It might help clarify things for you.