Dictionary definitions in Safari - GONE?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by PsykX, Jan 10, 2015.

1. PsykX, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Hey,

So I've been using this feature since 10.6 I believe, in Safari, where you highlight a word and you click "Search [word]", and boom, the dictionary definition pops up.

Now, the behaviour of the functions has been pimped since last week in Safari : it now looks on Wikipedia and in the iTunes Store. But not in Dictionary anymore. Edit : Ok, for SOME words like "iTunes", I have *just* realized that it looks in Dictionary, but not on Wikipedia. Strange.

I'm running Yosemite, and since I was enrolled in the betas, it installed all the three 10.10.2 betas by itself. Can someone confirm if it's just in the betas or if it's also in a Safari in 10.10.1 ? I'm worried it's their new "by design" feature, hoping it's just a bug...

2. leman macrumors 604

Probably your search configuration got messed up. Dictionary works here on laters 10.10.2 developer beta. The only issue I have is that the popup panel only partially honours the theming APIs and as a result is completely unreadable in dark mode.

3. PsykX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsykX

I just realized that it still works, but only in French for me. :(
    Before that it used to work for both French and English at the same time, it was fantastic.

4. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Someone had already made a thread about this. If that's how it's gonna be in the final release, i will be hugely annoyed. :( wtf apple, don't change what already works well.