Dictionary doesn't learn words anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brinycbri, Oct 10, 2008.

1. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

Anyone else getting this too? I reset the dictionary and it still it doesnt' learn my words. It seems very temporary

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think my iPhone thinks it knows everything...:p Same situation here, I'll stop by the Apple Store in about 30 minutes.:(

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Mine is still learning (well it's incorporated my local language like 5% now) hehe

4. mekohler macrumors member

I got my iphone about a month ago and mine never learned words. I just assumed it wasn't implemented yet. Is it supposed to learn?

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It should. When you type in words (OFTEN) that the dictionary never recognizes, it should learn those and then when you type it in the next time it auto completes it or auto corrects the spelling of it.

6. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

mine works fine as of recently, so took a few months to get it but it has learned; ur, jus, *uck, em, as*, yup, and some others i cant remember

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Went by the local Apple Store and the first thing they asked me was "have you had to restore recently?" I mentioned that I restored last week, so problem resolved. I had to stop-in and get me replacement green dot charger anyway...

8. 3kids macrumors regular

I've had one for over a year, been replaced twice and not one of the 3 ever learned a single word.

9. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

i don't think mine has ever learned a word. I'd be happy if it just learned lol and not LOL.

10. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

for it to learn that everytime LOL comes up u have to hit the X and make it go away... but u have to do it consistantly because if u let a LOL slip and not lol it will assume u still use LOL and continue to use it.

11. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i realise its not proper english and poor english at that, but seriously, whats with the hatred toward "yo" perhaps apple hates NY/NJ people hahahaha

12. Nehemiah7 macrumors newbie

Wow amazing my phone is completly different it learn everything sometimes even my mispelled words.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Reportedly it only "learns" if it has the alternative spelling in its dictionary already. It will not learn a new word.

As for me, every time I try to type in "ny" for "new york", it changes it to "by". Very annoying.

14. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I get similar, my main email address for web logins is a .co.uk

whenever i type .co.uk it changes it to .co.i'm

15. antlover macrumors newbie

well mine doesn't like to curse apparently... f*ck and f*cking is always duck or ducking.... :p

16. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Mine likes to insist on "Yh" being "Tv". Who even starts sentences with "Tv", if only it could apply some common sense sometimes.

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I only had to type f*ck in once and now it remembers it every time I go to use it...even as an autocorrection :p

For aforementioned example, I can't exactly see Apple being advocates of having words like that already as alternate spelling in the dictionary...

18. antlover macrumors newbie

LOL you're so lucky! :p I get made fun of every time! 'cause I just type away and don't stop to check my spelling, people get really confused! ;)