Dictionary Help Please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacMan123, May 26, 2008.

1. MacMan123 macrumors newbie

Hi guys the other day I accidentally pushed "add to dictionary" rather than the correct word. Is there any way I can go into the dictionary or w/e it is that has this feature and correct this? I don't want it thinking that my incorrect word is correct for a school paper or anything!

Also does this not work in Leopard anymore? I just read up on it and it sounds cool:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/how-to-use-apple-os-xs-builtin-dictionary-199108.php
    Maybe you have to enable it because it is not working for me.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

According to an Apple help document, "If you accidentally add a misspelled word to the dictionary, type the misspelling in the Spelling dialog, and then click Ignore." ...Haven't tried it personally though.

And yes, the built in dictionary lookup should still be working for you.

3. MacMan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I made this post a few days after adding it. I don't remember what I typed is there no way to just reset it or see a list? I have never added user spellings, so I don't care if I reset.

There is nothing to enable for the fast dictionary feature?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in ~/Library/Spelling there is a file with all the words that you manually added to the dictionary which you can edit in a text editor.

5. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I don't seem to have the "Spelling" folder:confused:

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

are you sure your looking in your home Library folder? ~/ means your home folder i.e. home/Library/Spelling.

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a