dictionary shortcut and preview NOT working on lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jca488, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jca488, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

jca488 macrumors newbie

I have been trying to get the awesome in-app definition-window to come up while using preview.app but it won't happen!
    When I go on safari or another app I simply enter the command: " cmd+ctrl+D " and it shows the in-app-definition-window.

anyone knows if this is a bug or does it work differently for Preview.app?

I've submitted a picture of it working properly on safari
    [​IMG]

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not every application supports that. The same type of problem existed in Snow Leopard with its dictionary feature. I suspect that the original poster is using one of the many applications that just doesn't support it.

4. jca488 thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure you read my post. the shortcut works fine on safari and it doesn't on PREVIEW.APP (app that opens PDFs) ... I find it hard to believe preview wouldn't have this setting as it is an updated app that came with lion.

Additionally, I am using an old gen macbook that doesn't support multitouch gestures.
    (my signature says it)

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually I did read your post and wouldn't have responded without doing so. The dictionary also does not work in my Preview.app (its an app that opens much more than just PDFs) no matter hard it is for you to believe.

6. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

The shortcut doesn't appear to work, but at least it's possible to right-click and then select "Look Up in Dictionary".

7. jca488 thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't quote you initially. i quoted MrCheeto so i wasn't saying you hadn't read my post. i was talking to him not you.

**GASP** i had no idea PREVIEW opened other documents like... pictures!!! marvelous
    **close sarcasm**
    not sure what the attitude is for. thanks for looking into the issue though.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

You are correct in what you said. I misread your post and it should not have happened.

9. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru

Bummer. It's just as essential for preview to support dictionary lookup as it is for Safari. If someone can tell me the location of that quick dictionary lookup executable (that which is launched by Cmd-Control-D / three finger double-tap), then I'll set it up with Better Touch Tool?

10. tkermit, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I'm not sure what you're trying to do there. I'm pretty sure you would need the application to access the framework programmatically.

11. andreiru macrumors 6502

andreiru

I see. It appears that for preview to support the conventional dictionary preview gesture it needs to be reprogrammed...