Dictionary Widget

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pknz, May 31, 2007.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I know this may seem simple and relatively pointless, but does anyone find that the Dictionary Widget not allowing you to select and copy text annoying?

I know there is the dictionary app and Cmd+Ctrl+D but that doesnt work in all applications and the dashboard is easier to open up.

2. 66217 Guest

I can paste text in the dictionary widget.

3. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Dont want to hi-jack the thread, but could someone tell me where to get more widgets? I just got my MacBook yesterday, so its all greek to me.....:confused: I have 4 widgets right now, and I keep hearing about all of these other ones that are nice to have (dictionary, etc)

Thanks!!!

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

mac os x comes with more than four widgets. if you click on the plus symbol on the lower left when dashboard is activated, it will reveal more widgets to display/activate. and if you're looking for more, apple's website has a good source of them.

to the op, i use spotlight to open dictionary. cmd-space, type "di" (dictionary then pops up), cmd-return. it isn't as fast as bringing up dashboard, i'll admit, but it's how i open most of my apps. it's pretty painless, and it is quick.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Never noticed it before, i only really use it to find out meanings of words i dont know rather than correct spellings so I don't use it in a way where this would come up.

Here is a good place to start

6. SuperDaddy macrumors member

7. kferr027 macrumors newbie

Yes, I also find this annoying, and haven't found a way to resolve it. Sorry not to be of any help, maybe it will be better in the Snow Leopard release.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So can I.

Try replacing com.apple.Dictionary.plist and com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist

I'll assume you know the drill. Either way, post back; for more tips or to report results, even (or especially) if it fixes things.