Did 10.11 remove the Disk Utility decrypt option?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patent10021, Jan 10, 2016.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I have a HD that was encrypted with Time Machine. I want to remove the encryption. I've already gone into El Capitan Disk Utility but there is no decrypt option like there was previously, there's only an unlock option. Works fine for getting at my stuff but I want to completely remove the encryption. Did 10.11 remove that decrypt option?

2. McScooby macrumors 6502

I think I'm right in saying that when you add the encryption it wipes the disk & starts afresh, as the encryption option in is time machine prefs when selecting your drive, at least i think it did on my time capsule, so if just a back up take whatever off it & start again, but unchecking encryption in time mach prefs, although I know you'll prob be trying to avoid it, fwiw, I'm still using yosemite.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Not here. It didn't erase anything during encryption or decryption. Maybe that's a Yosemite thing.

Thanks. Seems odd that you have to do it from there instead of in the Disk Utility. After all, it's Disk Utility lol At first it didn't allow me to do it. It said, "Unable to unlock the Core Storage volume." But I tried again and all was good.