Did 10.5.1 Fix Finder's Missing Windows Shares?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cavemonkey50, Nov 15, 2007.

1. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if anyone after updating to 10.5.1 has their Windows network shares displayed under Finder's Shared section. From what I understand, missing Windows shares to be a common problem among 10.5 users.

As of right now under 10.5.1, I am still missing my Windows shares, but would like to verify I'm still not the only one.

2. Viremia macrumors regular

Well, I could see my other XP computers prior to 10.5.1, but I couldn't connect to any of them. After installing 10.5.1, I was able to connect to all the shares without any problems.

I've also not had the frequent airport connection drops that I was getting.

Now watch it not work the next time I try. Thanks for making me jinx it. :mad: ;)

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you tried reselecting your workgroup under WINS in the advanced section of the network preferences?

4. mac-slap-happy macrumors member

On my SR MBP, if I enable the firewall in Leopard the Windows shares disappear. If I turn off the firewall, they reappear and work fine.

Certainly not a fix, but an observation (at least on my system). Same scenario on both 10.5.0 and after today's 10.5.1 update.

5. Viremia macrumors regular

Well, my shares are still working, but after 1 hour, my airport issues are still as bad as ever.

I'm seriously considering downgrading to Tiger.

6. cavemonkey50 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, my WINS settings do not stick at all. After I apply the setting change, I'll review the WINS settings and they're all empty.

I don't have the firewall turned on as I'm behind a router and feel that's protective enough.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try just typing your workgroup name in. it'll prob just be "mshome" or "workgroup". this is what i did and my pc popped up in shared straight away even with the OS X firewall on.

8. cavemonkey50 thread starter macrumors 6502

As I've said, the setting doesn't stick. I know my workgroup name is called WORKGROUP, it's just every time I look the setting is empty again without ever seeing my Windows computers in the Finder.

9. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Guys...turn off the firewall in OSX and you should start seeing your windows shares again...

I checked the firewall logs and it couldn't do lookup properly behind the firewall for some stupid reason...

I did this and my shares came up.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

MKnight... my firewall is on and i can see my windows shares. its not the same for everyone.