Did 10.5 Clean/Install, then Time Machine, ready for SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by duggram, Aug 27, 2009.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Rather than waiting for tomorrow to do my clean/install I did it today. With Time Machine I was able to selectively reinstall what I wanted. TM also reinstalled all of my network settings/passwords. I selected not to install all of my previous apps. But some of my files are still in iWorks format (ie Numbers) and because I've recently switched to MSOffice I had to reinstall Numbers. However my iWorks disk is fubar. No problem. I just restored my copy from TM. All is good. Can't say enough about how good TM is.

Now I'm ready for a Snow Leopard upgrade!

BTW cleaning the hard drive does make the MBP run faster. I've only been on mac for about a year and a half. In that time I installed various databases, Java IDE's, and other stuff. I don't need to do all those installs again because I've learned from those experiences. Hopefully I can keep the cruft off my hard drive that slows it down.

2. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

of course it makes it faster, there will be more space for VM

3. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Do you need to reinstall Leopard first to install Snow Leopard via clean. And then can you use TM to reinstall all your apps or those that you want back? Or can you just format the drive from the Snow Leopard Disks and then import your old apps from TM? Thanks!

Bill.....:apple:

4. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Do you really think that's what makes it faster? Before cleaning the HD I had >106 GB free. Think about it. There's another reason it's faster....

5. AceMason macrumors regular

So if I wanted to get my emails in Mail back would I be able to do it via time machine?

6. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Sorry Bill I don't have any answers yet. My SL will be delivered by Fed Ex before 3pm. I'll have some answers then.

In today's Wall Street Journal there is a review of SL. The reviewer had problems with TM. I didn't know this before I reinstalled. Glad I did now.

BTW I also burned all my downloads and data to DVD.

7. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

I have no idea. I don't use Mac mail.

8. thehimay macrumors member

Lifehacker - Prep Your Mac for Snow Leopard
    The growing consensus appears to be that you can wipe the drive and still make a clean install of Snow Leopard sans pre-existing Leopard on the machine.

9. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

I am also interested in knowing the outcome of this, but I guess no one knows for sure until we try it out tomorrow. I am looking to do a CLEAN install, format the drive and erase the data and then install SL on a clean, empty hard drive.
    Then, I wonder if I'll be able to hook up my external hard drive with the Time Machine backups and selectively restore the folders I want, like the music, documents, pictures, selected apps...etc.

I don't want to restore the FULL TM backup, just a few selected folders.

Please post if you have an answer!

10. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

That's what I did today with my 10.5 reinstall. TM's great. I still have all my apps on it when I want them. BTW the reason I did the clean install today is so that I can do a much faster upgrade when I get 10.6. Now I'm getting ridiculous.

Some bad news tho, wife won some tickets to the ball game tomorrow night. Game starts at 7:05. Fed Ex typically arrives around 6:30 in my neighborhood. Bummer!! We're going to be late for the game.

11. AceMason macrumors regular