Did 4.2 fix the proximity sensor issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rudh, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rudh macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2010
    Since some people already have the pre-release version. Did those who had PS problems with 4.1 have them resolved with 4.2?
  2. saving107 macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Either Apple thought that the 4.1 update was good enough and didn't give it a second thought for 4.2, or this really is a Hardware issue and not software, either way, its still not fixed.
  3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    I thought 4.1 did.
    If not you should bring it in for a replacement.
  4. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    4.1 fixed it for my dad's. So uhhhh there's that information for you.
  5. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2008
    4.1 fixed it for me as well. Get your phone replaced.
  6. Roger1079 macrumors member

Jul 3, 2009
    Already went that route. Then went that route again. iPhone4 number 3 and still can't make a call without muting, dialing numbers, going into my contacts, or trying to make a facetime call. What are the odds the 4th one actually works as advertised? My guess is slim to none at this point since it's a hardware issue that they won't acknowledge. If 4.2 doesn't fix it, I'm going back to my 3GS which mysteriously has never had that problem.
  7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Never had the problem more than once, 4.1 fixed it and never happened again.

There does come a point where maybe Apple isn't to blame for the continuing issue....:rolleyes:
  8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

May 25, 2008
    Dallas Tx.
  9. SA22C macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2010
    Top Gear Test Track.
    Neither of my iPhone 4's has had the issue and both were running 4.1 so I assumed that Apple had solved the issue. My old 2G was terrible for cheek dialing so it was nice to see that the iPhone 4 was better in this regard.
  10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    That sucks.
    Mine has had the same but with 4.1 it has improved alot. Still not as solid as my 3G and 3GS was when it came to prox sensor issues.
    I'd keep buggin them till you get one that works right.
  11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Rather than say "4.1 fixed the proximity sensor issue" it would be more accurate to say "4.1 did everything that can be done that doesn't require the hardware to be changed."

When you say it that way it's much easier to accept the fact that nothing more will change until the iPhone 5 comes out.
  12. WilliamG macrumors G3

Mar 29, 2008
    Agreed. While I love the iPhone 4, it's the absolute worst iPHONE yet.
  13. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2010
    When you say it that way it's much easier to accept the fact that nothing more will change until the iPhone 5 comes out.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of us that have used the iPhone 4 without every experimented this issue once. We have 3 iPhone 4s in our family, one week 31, other week 33 and other week 42, and none of us has experienced this issue.

If something in the hardware is different, I don't know, if you're using under different light conditions and that affects it, I don't know, but we have never had this issue.
  14. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2008
    If you're still having an issue after 4.1, you need to exchange your hardware. This was a ghost problem anyway but even the ghosts are getting scarce now.

Tons of IP4s here at work. Nobody here has this issue after 4.1.
  15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

Jun 20, 2007
    So can we all comfortably say that it's a hardware problem at this point? I just muted myself when talking to my wife and she thought I was ignoring her! Ack, so frustrating!

This is my third iPhone 4. I'm on 4.2, but I suppose I won't be able to exchange it until it's released publicly?
  16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Apr 20, 2009
    Never had a problem with this. Though it was solved long ago.....

Earrings maybe?

Maybe your ears are too big.... :eek:
  17. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2010
    dido, mine was fixed with 4.1! it was horrible on 4.0.1 too.
  18. rudh thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2010
    I asked this question because a hardware and software issue seems to be at play

I'm on my fourth Iphone4. The first two had the prox sensor issue that wasn't fixed w 4.1. My third phone miraculously didn't. Unfortunately I had to exchange it because of a ****ed up home button. My fourth one seems to be a ghost now.

They had said my fourth would be the last but for some reason I don't think they can say that especially since I'm not happy with the product. It just doesn't function as a phone. And I know it isn't the way I use it because the one working one I received worked just fine. I'm going to wait and see what happens with 4.2. If that doesn't fix it I'll go in and exchange it again. Hopefully the number of ghosts has gone down.
  19. noobinator macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2009
    Pasadena, CA
    I took mine into a genius today for the prox issue and the lady ran some diagnostic, called herself and swiped her finger across the sensor and said, your phone is fine, thanks for coming in. :mad: I showed her my call history and how a few facetime calls were tried to people without facetime but she said there was nothing they could do since my phone is working properly.
  20. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2009
    I had an iPhone 3G and after 4.1 it was indeed fixed but I got an iPhone 4 couple of days ago and one or twice it activated the speaker while I was holding it to my year.

Since I only had it for couple of days I can't really say for sure, maybe because the phone was new I was holding it more careful and a little distanced from the year (I kind of sweat a lot).

From my perception it seems that it's not really a problem but an over sensitivity of the sensor.

I found a dead pixel on my screen and I'm exchanging it today maybe I'll have different results with the proximity sensor.
  21. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2003
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I really hope it's fixed in 4.2. Nothing like hanging up on accident while hosting a work conference call.
  22. spotz770 macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2010

For me, thank god...yes.
  23. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2010
    My iPhone 4 came with 4.1

I've never had a problem with the proximity sensor.

I put it to my face. Goes black. Take it off, wait 1 second, comes back.

24. maprx macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2009
    4.1 did not!!! Fix ps

I had exchanged 5 UNITs 4 would be reburbs
    At the apple store. All had the problem before
    And after 4.1. Apple corp sent mean brand new
    Unit with 4.1 on it and guess what pm issue
    Still not resolved. I Make about 4000 mins
    Of calls a month. Use it long enough and you
    Will see the problem is still there. Solution
    For $1.00 a smart person made an app called
    "call guard". It works. Just turn it on after
    You make the call. It locks the screen and
    Counts the number of unwanted facial touches
    As well. 30 minute call had 57 unwanted
    Touches. But never muted or facetimed anyone
    I love iPhones so I put up with it. But this
    Is worst apple iPhone release since the beginning .