iPad Did 8.1.1 make the iPad 3 usable?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mvmanolov, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

Has anyone installed 8.1.1 on an iPad 3? is it better then before? any feedback on this would be great!
    Thanks.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I can tell you that 8.1.1 has made a huge positive difference on my iPad 2. I would assume that the more powerful iPad 3 will benefit too.

3. dbarnett105 macrumors newbie

iPad Mini 2 performance

Since installing 8.1.1 both my 5S and iPad Mini 2 (both A7 devices like the Mini 3) I have seen a lot of improvements. Its really weird the A7 saw that big of a drop in performance since it is so powerful...

Anyways I'm assuming since the Mini 2 and Mini 3 is the same (except the touch ID) then it'll be about the same upgrade

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

You'd be mistaken if you think the iPad 3 is much more powerful than the iPad 2. It uses the same A5 chip, but has faster graphics, which were barely capable of powering the new retina screen.

The OP is talking about the iPad 3rd generation not the iPad Mini 3. These naming conventions are getting really confusing!

5. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

6. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I agree. Maybe the problem was not CPU usage, but inefficient coding.

7. RenoG macrumors 65816

Still waiting for someone to actually answer the OP's question.
    I've purposely held off from updating because of all the bad reports.
    I my just not even look at updating until 8.2

8. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Okay, I'll answer it then... There is SOME improvement, but not a great deal. I couldn't take it anynore and caved in... I bought an iPad Air 2 to compensate. Now that flies in comparison, but I'd rather not needed to do so. All things considered, I've already sold the iPad 3 for $250 so it almost 1/2 paid for the new iPad Air.

9. mikeka macrumors newbie

I have. No difference here. It was 'usable' before and still is. :)

10. plusnq macrumors member

Same here. It is slower than the later iPads that the rest of my family have but that is to be expected really.

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I can tell a slight improvement on my iPad 3 (mainly in Safari), but it still isn't as good as iOS 7.1

12. rxd macrumors newbie

The Wifi is fixed now fwiw. 8.1.1 seems like a decent version to me

13. Abstraktmind macrumors newbie

It's WAYYY better than all other IOS 8 versions

14. kevink2 macrumors 65816

My biggest pet peeve with 8 is the behavior of some programs like messages. I go into a field and type, but the keyboard doesn't go away automatically. If I want to read the latest messages, I have to dismiss the keyboard myself.

15. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I use the 4th Gen iPad from my job. With 8.1.1 I have found an increase in battery life, and it does seem a little quicker. Battery drain was really bad before, that to me was the most noticeable improvement.

16. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Don't do it unless you absolutely must. As it is now, I don't like it very much. Even my mum's Air isn't as smooth as it was on 7.1.2. Keeping my 3 on 7.1 forever and the two rMini's in our household untill oktober next year. Sure hope Apple has improved iOS 8 by then.

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

I totally agree with the above. My iPad 3 is running iOS 5 and i'll leave it there. My Air is running iOS 7 and it'll stay there. I just bought an Air 2 so i'll see how it runs iOS 8. If i'm not happy i'll just return it.

18. rbart macrumors regular

iOS5 is really very old.
    I suppose a lot of apps are not available anymore for iOS5.
    iOS6 was as fast as iOS5, why didn't you upgrade ?

19. Rodster macrumors 68040

Because I knew iOS 7 would ruin the performance of the iPad 3 and my worse fears were proven correct. ;)

Besides there are several iOS 5 features I still use and need. That's why I kept it on iOS 5.

20. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Tank you very much.... I think I will do in this manner... Is for my mother ipad 3...I have an air ( your situation only specular :D:D)

21. stevemiller macrumors 65832

I don't want to jinx things.

I was all but resolved to never upgrade to iOS 8 on my iPad 3. But truth be told performance on 7.1 was already pretty lacklustre for me. And this was likely due to the fact that the iPad has never had a restore done on it.

So I decided to take the plunge and do a fresh install of iOS 8 and set up as new. It's only been about a day, but I can definitely say it's as good as, or better than it was performing on 7.1. Again, I realize this was likely as much about the fresh install as it was iOS 8, but I'm more than satisfied that I can make due for another year with this device. iPad 3 gets a lot of flak, but as a casual device, it still does its job quite well. If you want to talk brutal performance, try enduring an iPhone 3g on iOS 4! ;)

22. Mike Delta macrumors 6502

Mike Delta

It made my iPad noticeably better but still not as good as iOS 7.