Did a clean SL reinstall - How to retrieve certain backup files from external HDD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by felixen, Sep 14, 2011.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Please help.

I ran a Time Machine backup before I did my clean install to Snow Leopard. However I am not sure how I can retrieve my key chain (is that what they call it in English? It's the file that contains log-in information and stuff that I wanted my Mac to remember). Where on my TM backup file is it located?

Also, I have other stuff like the Documents folder and the iTunes folder that should be on the Time Capsule backup. How do I take these folders and replace the new, clean folders? Can I just drag them out from the Time Machine backup and onto my clean Mac where they were located prior to the reinstall? I would try myself right now, but I am at work until late tonight, and if I am wrong in how to do this I hope yall can help me during the day so I will know exactly what to do when I get home :) Pretty eager to get this right ASAP - I've been wanting to reinstall my Mac for a year or two now, but never did it because of the hassle of getting the files I wanted back (mainly iTunes stuff; playlists, artwork, manually edited track information and so on but also this keychain that contains so many passwords and stuff I can't remember myself)

Thanks!!

2. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also have my address book on the external hard drive but I can't replace the new, clean address book with this old one? How do I add all of my old contacts to the new book (or just replace the new book with the old one from my external HDD?)

Please help

4. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. jbzoom macrumors newbie

Use the migration tools as if you were moving to a new mac.

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got it, thanks. Where do I find the keychain though? I cannot find it when I search on "keychain" or on the Danish word for keychain either.