Did a Repair Disk permision and found this...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macswitcha2, Mar 7, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

What does this mean?

EDIT: Ok, I went to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448?viewlocale=en_US

Mine was on the list.

Apple says, "You can safely ignore these messages. You can also usually ignore any "ACL found but not expected..." message. These messages can occur if you change permissions on a file or directory. These messages are accurate but are generally not a cause for concern."

Ok. But what does THAT mean?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Nothing. It can be ignored.

There is no reason to repair permissions if you're not having issues.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hear that its good to occasionally run it when you uninstall apps..

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

There is no (good) reason for a utility to issue bogus SUID warnings either. Unfortunately, there's a glitch somewhere in the 'software update' chain of events, that leaves the receipts database (which Disk Utility consults) out of sync with reality.

Then, add to that the scenario where some user is having an issue... and these unnecessary (bug-driven) messages only mislead and confuse users even further. To scold (or attempt to embarrass) users for repairing permissions "too often" is to practice avoidance behavior, which only enables Apple to permit this bug to linger. Users should be made aware. And most of all: Disk Utility should be something we can always trust. If there are zero problems then it shouldn't report any.

EDIT: ACLs are a different story... i refer here only to set-id binary executables.

Generations of Mac users are being trained to simply ignore SUID warnings, without knowing why (or understanding that —under most real-world circumstances —an SUID warning is "normally" something to which folks should pay very serious attention). In this case, the reason we can ignore the message is because of the aforementioned bug. [Apple's page should make that distinction... but it doesn't. They should also fix this bug asap, but (for over 2 years) they haven't.]

Oh well... just ignore this post too, for what it's worth. :cool:

5. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I do think something is wrong when a warning is given and its not a warning.