Did a replacement iPhone fix your 3G issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Aug 15, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I got my white 16 gig iPhone replacement over the weekend and I finally fired it up on Tuesday night. Here we are 3 nights later, and i can say, flawless performance in my home. I Have not seen a loss of the 3G signal yet, and all my calls seem to be going through now.

I am so happy, I hope it sticks, and doesn't break again!

Did your replacement phone fix your 3G issues? Please tell us all!

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha djrobsd,

Congratulations on getting a better iPhone 3G this time! Unfortunately for me, my issues continue with my 3rd iPhone 3G :( The primary issue is the apparent deletion of my iPod content, along with non-functioning 3rd party non-Apple apps (to include, surprisingly, Apple's Remote app).

I say apparent because, when my iPhone is connected to my Mac with iTunes fired up, all of the iPod content appears to be resident on my iPhone. When I go into settings to verify same, I see nothing for music and photos. While the Apple Store Geniuses insisted I was doing something wrong, I've discovered several other owners with exactly the same issue. The only "solution" thus far is to restore my iPhone, but even that is problematic.

The last two times I've had to restore my iPhone, I get to the view that asks if I would like to set up my iPhone as a new phone or restore to a backup. That's to be expected. What has been completely unexpected, however, is having to perform that step TWICE! Yes, that's right - after first restoring to a known good backup, once my iPhone reboots, it once AGAIN asks if I want to either set up my iPhone as a new phone or restore from a backup :( WTF, Apple?!? I mean, this isn't rocket science - we still sync our iPhones 3G like we did our 1st gen iPhones, right?!?!?

Lastly, I've also experienced the '3G switching to EDGE, then never switching back' issue as well. One possible solution is to cycle Airport mode. That basically turns outside comms off then back on, and that appears to work well. Once again, I feel that I shouldn't have to do that.

Thinking back, I did not suffer these issues under firmware version 2.0, only under 2.0.1. Normally, I rush to apply Apple's updates - I've never suffered a performance degradation under that scenario, at least not until iPhone firmware 2.0.1. Is there any way to "downgrade" to iPhone firmware 2.0? In other words, HURRY UP APPLE! We want iPhone firmware 2.1 NOW!

HawaiiMacAddict

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, here I am, 5 days into my replacement phone, and I can definately say all the reception issues at my house have been fixed!!!!!!!! So, perhaps it is a defective batch of 3G chips. why else would replacing the hardware fix 3G reception issues?