Did a restore to update my firemware and apps are gone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lokiju, Jul 24, 2008.

1. lokiju macrumors 6502

I paid for two games and that's my biggest concern.

I did a backup first, then did a restore to upgrade the firmware and then did a restore of my backup after that, it didn't copy back over my music, videos or apps.

How do I get back my apps that I paid for? They're not listed under applications in Itunes and I think it's because I originally bought them directly from the Iphone.

Help!

2. dailo macrumors regular

If you try to buy the apps again it will say you already bought them and let you download them for free. I don't think the backup feature actually backs up the apps/music. It just backups your settings. I think iTunes is just supposed to sync back your apps and music after the restore is done.

3. galactic732 macrumors member

try to buy them again with the same account

should say that youve already downloaded it and ask if you want to get it again for free.

at least that's what happened to me

4. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, thanks (both of you) I was worried I'd be charged again!

5. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

6. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Usually if you ever Sync an iPhone to iTunes when there's a new app only on the iPhone, it will ask to transfer the new app to iTunes or delete all new apps if you choose no. You can make it it not ask again and auto transfer if you check a box.

Were the apps listed in the apps area of the iTunes before the restore?

I know when I restored my iPhone, I avoided the back up and did a fresh sync, and all my apps were there. Only small issue was I had to authorize some apps before any went to my iPhone.

But you used your backup, which I'd think would have restored your apps too as they have important information backed up. You didn't some how tell it to delete all apps by clicking the wrong button when it asked to transfer apps with the first syncing?

Though, I think iTunes keeps a record. Like I needed to redownload a free app, and it knew I downloaded it before and asked if I wanted to download it again. So with paid apps, I figure it's the same, they won't make you pay twice.

7. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

They were not listed in the apps section of my Itunes before.

I thought (assumed) a backup prior to the restore would cover the apps also but it seems to not be the case.

I did go and in Itunes act like I was buying the two games I already paid for and it did show that I had already paid for them and asked if I wanted to redownload it again for free (thankfully!)

8. msantoso macrumors member

i never done iphone backup because it's just taking too long to complete. i just sync all content. when i upgrade firmware i set up as a new phone. never had problem with it.

for purchased item (free or paid), usually itunes will ask something like "there are new item purchased on your iphone, would you like to transfer it ... " and selecting yes would transfer all the "purchased" item (free or paid) to iTunes on your mac

the only problem i realise is i upgraded my Enigmo (upgrade are free too) and all the saved games are gone, i have to start from the beginning.