Did a search and still have a question...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CaptainCaveMann, Nov 30, 2008.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Can anybody with the new 2.4 Macbook report if there is any processor "whine", "hiss", or noise coming from Apple's latest notebook?

This is the very last thing keeping me from buying, so help a brother out eh? :D

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I only have the 2.0 but can report that:

Core 2 Duo Hiss/Whine:

No hiss or whine under Mac OSX under battery use when the battery is near full charge but there is a faint hiss as the battery gets to 50% and under. The lower the battery the more audible it becomes but it's not as annoying or as loud as under Windows.

Audible (and irritating) hiss/whine under Windows XP and Vista bootcamp battery use no matter what level the battery at.

No hiss or whine when plugged into the outlet, regardless of operating system.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

5. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The hiss or processor whine is a high frequency sound made when your processor switches between power saving states. Many people are not able to hear it because it is a high frequency sound and depending on how good your hearing is you may not be able to hear very high frequencies (but your dog can hear it heh).

Put your ear under the bottom left of your machine while it's on low battery power and you might hear it, especially if you move your finger over the trackpad.

6. rd261 macrumors regular

If Im not mistaken, this is an intel problem. I dont know about the aluminum macbook but my friend bought a dell with the same 2.4 processor as the aluminum's and it does have that annoying noise. My black macbook does have it as well but is not as noticeable. For those of you that dont know what we are talking about, when the processor is IDLE put your ear close to the Q W letters in the keyboard. If your computer has it, then you'll hear a static kind of noise. Is not that loud and is only audible in a quiet room with your ear very close to the machine.

tubbymac, I know what you are talking about. I can hear the noise clearly but my brother, who is on his 30's cannot hear anything and he says is just me being paranoic.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Ditto