did a stupid mistake "sudo rm -rf /Applications/". PLS help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mgsolidsnak3, Sep 25, 2008.

1. mgsolidsnak3 macrumors member

Hello

I have just did a really silly mistake trying to remove a program, the instructions was: sudo rm -rf /applications/adeona/

but instead made the mistake hitting return before writting adeona, neeedless to say my applications started deleting, after seing this i have switched it off. I have lost about 3.5GB worth of data, apps starting with letters a & b. I know that apperture, amsn, age of empires was deleted which i dont really care

There are not in trash btw. Is there a way to retrieve them or at least see what has been deleted?

Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you are going to have to reinstall them unfortunately

they are not in the trash as the trash is a gui interface for the terminal. they are gone

3. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Other than hard drive forensics software which can recover things deleted from the file system, you are out of luck.

4. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

You told it to delete everything in your /Applications folder. rm instantly deletes everything without remorse (that's how the function operates), so there will be nothing in the Trash. If you want rm to double check with you if you want to delete whatever it is you're deleting, use the -i flag. So you would use sudo rm -i -rf <file/folder>. Since you switched the system off, you probably have corrupted programs and files.

Sounds like a job for Time Machine. You should be able to simply restore your Applications folder, and everything will be good as new.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....restore from backup, whether it be Time Machine or what have you......you *do* back up don't you? If not, it is reinstall apps time and time to think about a backup strategy....oh yeah!