Did all the reviewers miss this?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Speechless, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Speechless macrumors 6502

Potential.

simply.

I am excited for Apple Watch because of ALL the apps that will come following it, it's exciting.
    I just read Verge's review and everytime he mentioned "lack of _" I kept saying to myself, "but isn't this something an app will fix ridiculously soon?" like the mention of health tracking (gym, lifting, running, exc.)

Are people put off because of day one app launches? because I think it's pretty great and only going to get better. Or are people put off/waiting for the next generation because they want it all at once?

2. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Bear in mind there have been concerns raised regarding the overall 'snappiness' of apps, including when loading data from the phone. Some of this can no doubt be improved through software updates, but other may simply need a better CPU.

3. Ries macrumors 68000

There is currently no API to access anything on the watch. The heart rate monitor was found to be bad (as all non-hard strapped 10cm upon wrist optical HR monitors are). It took apple 6 month to get healthkit working somewhat properly, "soon" is going to mean apple watch air.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

How do you review a product if not based on your experience with it at that moment?

5. AliMacs macrumors 6502

lol, potential. So is the thought of flying cars. How about unlimited fuel cell cars. How about potential of that new rMB.

You can have your potential for their asking price, I'm happy to close my wallet.

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

They did not miss it, they even stated that it will evolve through he generations and has potential, just as reviewed, a gen one, it's not there.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

What developers can do with it is severely limited at the moment. No access to the heart rate sensor, Taptic Engine, not even sure you can build apps with things like Force Touch.

It'll get much more interesting when native apps and a full SDK are released.

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

So far, nobody came up with an idea for an #⌚️ app that would make everyone say "Wow! That's genius! Never thought about it! Would be amazing!" It's because there's no such idea. Everything that could possibly be cool and amazing, already exists on smartphone. The #⌚️ is merely a Bluetooth auxiliary display for iPhone. I don't think smartwatches have any amazing potential as fantasizers dream it up to be. I stopped wearing my [most advanced yet] smartwatch after 6 months and returned back to my super cheap, but trusty Casio:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1863347

9. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

No I haven't used the watch and yes people will be using it more at first... But if the battery life is already just barely making it (per some reviews thus far) imagine all the apps to come. Not only will they not be tweaked to the scrutiny that apples own apps are to get the most out of battery life, but they will probably offer even more functionality that will have us wanting to interact with our watch even more.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Hmm...I'm not aware of every review saying the heart rate monitor was bad.

11. ACE83 macrumors member

12. Ries macrumors 68000

Similar is not the same, did they provide any numbers? 160 is similar to 175, but that is still at ball park difference in fitness. How did it handle constantly changes in pulse? I bet on bad. they say it failed with the Milanese strap. The verge review said it was off by half.

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Going to have to recheck the reviews for the HR monitor accuracy, very interested in this feature.

14. ACE83 macrumors member

"It stayed within five beats of my trusty Polar chest-strap monitor" (when wearing sport band).

Christy Turlington's blog states the watch flashes the heart rate "LED lights hundreds of times per second" and she is actively able to watch her heart rate go up and down during a workout since it's constantly monitoring.

Based on this, as long as you are wearing the watch tight enough, the HRM should be just fine for the majority of people.

The Verge review seemed to have its own preconceptions so I'll just leave it at that.

15. ACE83 macrumors member

More on the heart rate monitor. Seems pretty solid..

"The most interesting observation from my workouts so far is that the heart-rate readings I’m getting from the Apple Watch during indoor cycling are very close to the readings I’ve gotten from a chest monitor. I haven’t yet seen the kind of wildly-erratic readings that I’ve experienced with other health watches that measure heart rate through the wrist."

http://recode.net/2015/04/08/a-week-on-the-wrist-the-apple-watch-review/

16. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

my only problem with the heart rate monitor is that it's not available to 3rd party apps.

I currently use ismoothrun, a pebble, and a chest strap.

Ismoothrun integrates perfectly with the pebble watch and displays what I want on the screen (user editable to select what I want to see). This is great because with one glance I can see how fast I'm going and what my heart rate is etc.

Later, I can review my pace, my cadence, the climb and how my heart rate changed...on one screen mapped out for me.

This isn't going to be possible using the watch since the HR isn't available to ismoothrun. So, how useful is the HR monitor going to be if it can't be mapped onto my run? what can I use it for?

17. ACE83 macrumors member

Your heart rate feeds into Health app so it is available to third party apps that pull info from there.

As far as the HRM hardware being natively available to developers...my guess...it will be. Just not on day 1. The full API comes out at WWDC. I think it will be like Touch ID which was only used in place of a passcode on the home screen at first but has since opened up.

18. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

It's available in HealthKit, and it's up to ismoothrun to take advantage of HealthKit data.

19. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

My concern is that the Apple Watch "apps" appear to be nothing more than extensions of iphone apps that rely on the connection to your phone, resulting in noticeable delays when you use them. Honestly, the whole situation reminds me of how we were supposed to be satisfied with web apps on the original iphone.

20. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

Personally I do not take Verge review too seriously. Watch is highly personal, and his personal experience differs much with say, Gruber, or Mashable... If you stop and think about it: why? Does a person's judgement based on unbiased review or personal agenda? Or people simply have too much expectations with Apple products. if this was one of the Android smartwatch, there would already be a heap of praises and can you imagine Verge gave the crappy Moto360 8.5/10?

One would never know, that is why I said: do not take Verge review too seriously.

So whom do you trust? The simple answer is: yourself. I urge everyone to try it on, and judge by yourself. Yes, the watch bound to have a few problems initially but nothing is perfect. It is still way better than most available smartwatch out there.

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Well they have to remember that this is first gen, the FDA held back Apple a great deal. Next gen will have a lot more options.

22. andrewmaj macrumors regular

They did a live Q&A on Periscope today at The Verge and they talked about potential. He admitted it has potential but he reviewed it as it currently is.

23. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's because they aren't.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

In what ways did the FDA hold Apple back a great (or even small) deal?

25. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

They needed approval for many of the feature that they wanted to included, since that would take more time that apple had, they excluded them until next year, I hope.