Did anybody compare iPads vs Surface when looking to buy a tablet for 1st time?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by DramaLLama, Apr 26, 2014.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

Obviously most of you guys probably ended up on iPad but who of you all, compared the two physically in the stores and what was your overall opinions on the differences between the two?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Most people want an ipad just because it's an ipad and there is no other option for a tablet because there is only one ipad.

3. dgr874 macrumors member

are you just looking for physical differences or are you looking for all the differences? I have both and could probably answer any questions you have.

4. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

Mainly just initial opinions on the two when you use them both... Which do you like to use when you're just relaxing? Working? Etc..

5. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Surface is probably the only iPad alternative I have ever considered to purchase. I ended up give up. The Surface RT does not do much and now Office is out for iPad, I have no reason for buying an Surface RT. the Surface Pro is nice little hybrid which I really want to get, but it is kind pricy. I will purchase when I decide to upgrade my PC laptop. Being able to keep productive and portable at same time is really nice. Currently, using iPad 4 and iPad mini retina

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

After using a Nexus 7 for a year, there was no question that I would be buying an iPad next. I now have two iPads. I will never consider anything else.

7. jaynbashate macrumors newbie

me too, I would be buying an iPad next. I now have two iPads. I will never consider anything else.[​IMG]

8. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Well when I bought my ipad, it was the original one and as such every other tablet at the time was a windows xp briefcase with a resistive touchscreen :p

I have used a nexus 7 before though, and I will definitely say I'll be buying an ipad next rather than another manufacturer's tablet. That is, when my ipad 1 kicks the bucket, still going strong on ios 5.1.1 :cool:

I can't stand windows 8 so I'll not be purchasing a surface, and I'm not fond of convertibles anyway (unless it's a car!)

9. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I have both--a mini and a surface pro. The mini is fine for reading: kindle, web etc. The Surface pro has a great pen interface and is an amazing digital idea pad. I also use the Surface with its keyboard cover and wedge mouse. Its an amazingly versatile device. The ipad is a better web browser and media player, the surface is better for everything else. Given a choice between the two, it is not even close. That said--I am not a fan of the surface rt

I wish I could find someone to give my ipad1 to. It was and really still is a great device

10. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I didn't even consider the Surface. I compared the iPad and Nexus 7.

11. ravipiero macrumors regular

From my experience, iPad kinda sucks for browsing. Safari reloading is really annoying and I haven't yet found the fix.

I use my original iPad mini mainly for movie and browsing because I have my apps on my iPhone. And now I'm considering buying dell venue 8 pro or acer iconia w4 because its cheap, run full windows 8 pro, and the same size with iPad mini.

12. maflynn, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just looked at the surface pro 2 yesterday. A nice tablet to be sure but I was surprised at the weight. That bad boy is heavy. Perhaps I'm so used to the rMini.

I categorize the Surface pro 2, as more of a laptop then a tablet. It runs an actual desktop of windows so it can run desktop apps, it has all the functionality of a laptop and its really meant to be put a table/desk/lap perhaps because of the weight.

The surface 2 running windows rt, is jut wrong. Poor performance and a lack of apps. I foresee MS dropping or drastically changing this because I think its not selling to well.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah its best to think of it as a computer rather than tablet to be honest. I have a Surface Pro 2 and a Retina Mini. I use the mini for gaming and tablet surfing. I use the surface pro 2 for drawing and illustrating in more professional programmes like Corel Painter X3 and Photoshop, something I simply can not do on my iPad. :)

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

This, the Surface Pro range is a hybrid PC, it can run the entire Adobe suit if you want, different ball park to the iPad really.
    In fact I would say MS has pulled an Apple and boosted a market little used before, powerful PC tablets that look nice. It has sold very well too.

Rumours are saying the next Pro may have a core i7 and 4K screen with up to 16gb ram! The price will most likely go up too but if they squeeze all that into a 10" device and make the battery last a good time, then it will be even more impressive.

I have decided to wait until they refresh the pro because then I'll grab me a Pro 2 with 256gb storage at sale price, its all the power I need.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

God they need to do more to support Hi-DPI displays if thats the case.

Even currently the 1920x1080 on a 10" is BADLY optimised - especially for third party applications.

For example you really want to put the screen on 150%-200% scaling in order to have toolbars and the operating system navigable and touch friendly in desktop mode, BUT... you will encounter issues in third party applications doing so with often them being stretched out over distorted.

Sketchbook Pro & Corel Painter X3 are unusable in 150%-200% scaling.

Therefore you have to scale down to 100-125% scaling which obviously results in a tiny gui in desktop mode. The applications work properly but the scaling issue is really problematic.

Photoshop CC and the whole Adboe Suite GUI is likewise Tiny (and I mean VERY tiny regardless of what scaling you set up on the device. If they don't sort out the scaling issues going to 4K would actually just cause HUGE problems and make the whole thing totally unworkable - as often its close to unworkable as it is.

Strange thing is on a hi-dpi macs these applications don't have big problems - but on windows they are really unoptimised and I've been waiting a long time for updates to arrive to sort them out with little success.

And here's a response from Adobe

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could jump on the Surface Pro bandwagon being impressed with the Windows phone but not at 1,000 bucks. I'm keeping my eye out for refurbs and sales but as it stands the surface pro 2 is a pricey tablet.

17. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Nope the surface is more laptop than a tablet I rather have a MacBook Air maxed out/iPad air combo. I like to multitask between devices.

18. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I'd be interested in hearing the differences between them when you get a chance to post. I have an iPad Air and have only played around with the Surface Pro's. I really didn't pay much attention to the Surface 2.

19. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Its all about the wacom interface--if you dont need the pen then the surface is far less compelling. If you need pen functionality--its one of maybe 3 devices that does that well--and the only one in 10.6 form factor. The samsung tablet pens work well--but they are tiny and hard to hold

20. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Yeah they need to sort it out, its only a rumour, I don't think it needs 4k myself, then again I thought 1080p on a 5" phone was crazy till I got one.

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

22. leenak macrumors 68020

the surface wasn't out when I got my first iPad but I doubt it. I would've probably wanted something more like the Surface Pro and if I am going to spend that much, I'd probably just buy a MacBook Air.

23. ozaz macrumors 65816

Are you referring to the Surface (ARM) or the Surface Pro (Intel)?
    What do you intend to use your tablet for?
    Have you ruled out other Windows tablets & Android tablets?

I need to get a new 13.3-14" Windows laptop soon, almost exclusively for running desktop applications. Have never previously gone above 1600x900 on a Windows laptop, but now there are lots of 1920 x 1080 options. Are the problems with 1920 x 1080 on tablet screens also a problem with 13.3-14" screens?

24. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

When I was in the market for my first tablet in Dec-Jan, I looked carefully at the iPad, Surface RT, and various Androids. I needed to access flash drives on a regular basis so the iPad was out, but the form factor of the Surface never caught on with me. Is it a tablet, is it a laptop? How does it feel using it for extended periods of time not at a desk?

In the end I went with a $300 Xperia Tablet Z.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No the extra natural scaling the 3.5-4" extra size gives you means it should not be anywhere near as problematic as it is on the 10" screen.

Honestly if it wasn't for the surface pen it would be hard to use photoshop cc on it because it's so small.