Did anybody ever consider a 11" MBA when evaluating the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by S1njin, Oct 24, 2011.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Just wondering.

In life you don't often get second chances, but I have a opportunity to unload my 32GB iPad 2 Wifi for about 20 bucks less than I paid for it.

I make up the 20 bucks w/ 2 Best Buy certificates I earned by buying it there in the first place.

So ... my original plan was to downgrade to the 16GB model since I don't use the space at all. I primarily get my email, surf the web, and consume copious amounts of HBO Go. This would net me some cash back in pocket.

However, the MBA 11" has really caught my eye. Seems like I get similar portability, but I can do so much more on it. I lose some battery longevity, but I gain more functionality.

Anybody go through this? Anybody using a MBA 11" as I propose?

2. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

My 11" MacBook air is sitting over there. <points>

I use my iPad for 90% of my use, if I'm honest. It all depends what your usage is.

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Same here. I never use my MBA unless I'm out on the road. And even then only if I have to do something that I can't do as easily on my iPad.

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I already have a netbook that does everything I need. Loaded with Windows 7, Windows XP and OSX on a separate partition. My decision to buy iPad was not because I need a laptop. I wanted something that I could whip out on a somewhat crowded train to watch a video and read a book. Laptop won't be very convenient, since you have to hold it open. And since NYC subway, during the rush hour is not empty enough to get a seat, laptop simply won't work for me. My netbook already does everything MacBook Air does and then some more and much lower price and longer battery life too.

Also, I am planning to use iPad in aviation, and programs like Foreflight make it easier than laptop. Cockpit is simply a better environment for touchscreen, not a touchpad.

5. kokako macrumors regular

I use my 11" more than my iPad now it's perfect, it replaces my 17" MacBook Pro, the pro in specs is more powerful but I don't notice, my desktop computer is my 17" hooked up to a 27" display but as i'll never use a laptop like this again in te field i'll soon sell and replace with an iMac.
    Heavy laptops are redundant now, I think the MacBook Air is the best laptop there is, buy the 11" in a heartbeat, iPads are great but if i had to choose one I'd go for the 11" MBA you won't regret it.

6. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

I went through this exact same exercise. Bought the Air 11" and never looked back (in fact that's what I'm writing on, right now). Much, much better for writing more than a few words. Because it's a real Mac, not because of it's form factor.

iPad is a better form factor/experience, in the train, etc. But it's not a computer or a substitute for a computer. It's great for reading books and puttering around on the internet, spectacular for showing photos & videos and watching movies in bed.

It's a little expensive for these purposes, but it does have the ability to do email, web, light doc editing with iWork and so on, when you need to. It's justifiable as a purchase on these terms.

But for example, I'm perfectly happy reading ebooks on my iPhone, simply because it's always there, nothing extra to carry.

For sheer computing, creating, editing, and frankly just the convenience of overlapping windows and all the other niceties of a real Mac, you can't beat the Air. I can't get excited about full screen apps on any platform.

Now with Lion and gestures to swipe between desktops, the Air is definitely the best of both worlds, right now.

Not saying I wouldn't be tempted by a true touch Mac in a tablet form factor, be it 11", 15" or 27". I'm not in love with the keyboard, per se, and would gladly lose it for the simpler design/the better form factor.

I have an iPad. My Dad uses it more than I do. Mostly for showing photos, a few apps, maybe some web browsing… but even in his 80s, he still goes to his iMac for real work.

Have you heard "If you're going for 3 days, take the iPad. Any more, take a MacBook". That's pretty much true.

You'll probably buy both, but you'll buy the Air first, then an iPad. They really do different things.

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I think the MBA is the way to go IF you are a heavy duty writer. If you write books, manuals, etc and sell on Amazon or Kindle, then the iPad would become very laborious when trying to write/type a 250 page manual. During times when I am writing healthcare manuals, employee manuals, and books to sell on Kindle and Amazon, I couldn't imagine doing all that typing on an iPad. I suppose I could get used to it but I prefer a regular keyboard. Yes, I know there is a keyboard available for iPad, but to me that just defeats the purpose of portability of the tablet device.

I'm not knocking the iPad, as it does have merits of its own. I would not choose the MBA for the task described above as I like the real estate of my 17" MBP. That being said, there is a 17" MBA coming out later this year or early next year and that may tip me to dump my MBP - maybe.

8. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

Yes

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It depends on what you eant to do, your budget, etc. I do the vast majority of work on the iPad.

Someone else might find it useless. It all depends on the user's needs.

The iPad is lighter, has a longer battery life, can double as an ereader, and costs half as much. The MBA is great, but there are trade-offs.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope but it really doesn't matter what anyone else does. You need to decide based on your needs/wants. Polling others won't get you there.

11. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

I have no use of a laptop, for the last 3 years there was only one occasion when I needed a laptop, and then my ACER failed (the battery could not run the computer for longer than 30 minutes). I wanted an iPad and I got an iPad.

An iPad, paired with a wireless keyboard, may substitute a laptop. I would love it if they make a future iOS iMac-independent. Some day the tablets may be computers on their own - to me it would be much more functional than having to buy an iMac, a macBook and an iPad, and upgrade them through refresh cycles. So far an iMac + iPad works for me.

12. telephonepanda macrumors newbie

I'm a bit undecided here too. I have a MBP and an iPad, and I find myself using the iPad increasingly for anything that I don't specifically need my MBP for. I never take the MBP anywhere anymore and solely rely on the iPad/iPhone when I'm travelling.

Having said that, I do want to upgrade my MBP & I'm eagerly waiting to see if Apple go down the "Ultrabook" road for the next generation of MacBooks.