Did anybody get a different color to get a better delivery date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nikomanz, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

I was going to get an iPhone 6 Silver but I noticed it was backed up until like October or so.

I bought a Gold one just so I could get it delivered Friday... Anybody else did this?

I broke my other iPhone screen like a week ago so I might just cover it up with a protector in which the color would not be seen anyways..

2. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

I was chattin' to one of the guys that takes order for our carrier (O2) - he said it was pretty common. People would state a preference, he'd tell them the delivery time, then they'd ask what was available sooner and order that instead.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Me too. I couldn't care less about the color and when I ordered the + (and last year or the year before when I ordered, too), the first color I clicked on wasn't available right away so I just clicked on another one. I always use a case so I don't care.

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Yes I ordered one Sunday and all they had left online was Gold which I wanted anyway but in 128gb version which I did not really need but I can use it. I was going to get 64gb. Anyway it will be here Friday but it was the only choice left on Sunday morning. I paid off my Next 5s lease and got immediate upgrade eligibility and went for it.

5. Nikomanz thread starter macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Yeah! I feel like people are making a big fuss over color for the iPhone. I mean, yeah Silver does look better for me but I wouldn't dare going naked with an $800 piece of equipment.

----------

That is exactly what happened to me. I now have a 128GB phone in Gold cause the 64gb sold out in every other color

6. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Probably 95 percent of buyer will put a case on anyway. All that really matters is what the front looks like.

----------

I got my son a gold 64gb Gold on Saturday as that was available. I was still undecided myself on Saturday so I waited and got the 128. It's okay though I can use it being a Pro Photographer , I could actually load client jobs on it temporary and send images that I like for there needs. I will use it sort of as a editing solution.

7. MagnusF macrumors regular

I was going for the Space gray, but got the gold one. I will maybe switch later this year

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

wanted the space gray and had to get the gold. Its not a big deal though because i got a case anyways. I just had the silver/white the last 2 years and wanted a change.

9. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

What's interesting gold last year was the princess of the choices this year the frog. Lol

10. Nikomanz thread starter macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Any idea why do you think this was the case?

I've heard a few comments mentioning how the Gold color was "vain" or something.

11. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

In a way. I originally wanted a Gold 6+, but I then decided I wanted a Space Gray model when I was on the pre-order page. I saw that they were sold out of day one preorders on the Space Gray, so I went back to my initial pick of the Gold (64gb) for a 9/19 delivery.

12. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Not sure. I read people don't like the antenna lines but again who cares really we are going to put cases on them and we may never see the back of our phones again. Lol

Than again I'm not really a fashion label either. I like nice things no doubt like everyone else but not going stress about this stuff.

13. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

I never use a case, never have on any device. So I really appreciate having the device that I like the most. I knew I wanted the Space Gray 6 Plus, so I'm waiting for my preorder a little longer (set to arrive between 10/1 - 10/6). Not a big deal since I'm getting exactly what I want.

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

When I ordered every color and configuration was available for launch day release.

That said if I could do again I'd probably have gotten 128 instead of 64.

15. Nikomanz thread starter macrumors regular

Nikomanz

I guess in your case since you really wanted your color and you were willing to wait it wasn't a problem

I'm the complete opposite however. :D

16. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

Haha, I definitely understand how you feel, the wait is killing me. I did look at the 128GB Space Gray but just couldn't justify the cost since I know I won't fill up a 64GB. Plus, the wait was the same.

I sat up from 2:40am - 5:15am until the damn site came up. Couldn't get in that whole time to get a preorder - not even on the iPad App.

Worst part? I'm on Android and have been dying to get back to a full Apple ecosystem in my home. Literally, every day I find some new reason as to why I wish I was back on an iPhone.... I'm just being negative now. Haha

17. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I didn't, but I would have. I only slightly prefer grey to silver. I would have waited if gold had been the only one available.

I did compromise a bit on memory. I wanted the 16, but got the 64. I think I'll be happy I did in the long run.

18. Nikomanz thread starter macrumors regular

Nikomanz

No, I know exactly what you're saying. Last year I had an iPhone 5 and I thought I had "upgraded" when I bought a Note 3. I hated the bigger screen size (also why I didn't go with the +), and my whole tech ecosystem was Apple based. Even the most asinine steps took 2-4 steps more just cause I had a Samsung instead of Apple.

I'm glad I'm back with Apple. I'm sure you will be too.

19. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Since I plan to slap a case on the sucker the moment it arrives regardless of color, I did indeed pick the color with the shortest wait.

20. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

No because I can't stand white front-panels due to the non-seamless display border.