Did anybody get / give any good April Fools' Day computer pranks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

2. jackstraw111 macrumors newbie

I haven't done this in a long, long time, but my favorite is to take a screen shot of the desktop of a coworker's computer, then set that screen shot as the background pattern. THEN move all their desktop files and put them in a folder and stick it in a corner somewhere. Set the dock to work on the side (or anywhere it's not normally located) and to hide itself.

The fun begins when they try to click on things that can't be clicked. Usually they don't notice that the clock doesn't change. :eek:

THEN be prepared to do a lot of explaining and undoing before they panic and call the I.T. department.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The clock does change since the desktop background isn't over the menubar...

My favorite on the older Classic Macs (OS 9, 8, etc) was to put an AppleScript in the Startup Items folder that told the computer to shut down, and an item in the Shutdown Items folder that told the computer to restart. The end result was an endless loop of startup/shutdown. The only way to get rid of it was to startup with extensions disabled, which didn't launch anything in the first folder. The result was always hilarious.

A modern version of this would be to make an executable reboot command and set it as a login item.

4. jackstraw111 macrumors newbie

Oh yeah! The clock WOULD change. I guess the few times I did this, I didn't look at it clicking away. I just expected it not to. :eek:

It's been awhile -- in the long run, it wasn't really worth incurring the wrath of coworkers. They can get pretty testy and in the new age of office politics, absolutely not advisable.

5. PRMS IT guy, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

PRMS IT guy macrumors newbie

We have a few co-workers that dont start till 8:30 (us starting at 7:00) so we took the handles off the fridge that's in our break room and put them on the other side of the door. It was very funny... Oh and we are the IT dept. We laugh at people who have those types of issues and tell them that it's just an april fools prank and we will be out later to fix it (generally the person who did it will fix it before we have to come).

6. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I replaced all of the stock imagery at work with images of lolcats... It was funny for around the first 5 minutes :cool: