Did anyone bump ram to 4GB on New Unibody MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by teerexx52, Nov 3, 2009.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I was wondering if anyone bumped their ram in the new MacBook Unibody to 4gb yet? Any real change in performance you could notice?

2. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

yes quicker, but not that much, save your money.

3. Lee Potts macrumors newbie

Not really. Just a piece of mind kind of thing I guess because I dont game or anything but I recommend Crucial ram though.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Macworld benchtested 4 gigs in a 2.26 13" macbook pro and couldn't discern any performance difference. I would guess it would be the same for the macbook.

Depending on how you're using it, you may not even need it. Windows on a vm platform requires 3 gigs if you don't want to slow os x to a crawl.

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks for the info. Going to dig that article up and read it.

6. copykris Suspended

copykris

rule of thumb: get as much ram as you can afford

7. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I agree. You may not need it today, but it is nice to know that it is there in case tomorrow you do.

8. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I tried to upgrade the ram. Removed all the screws in the bottom panel but it did not want to release and come off. I was afraid to put too much pressure on it. Anyone done this that can offer me any advice?

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

www.ifixit.com

10. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks. I think we figured it out from the picture they show although we haven't tried it yet. There are no screws along the side edges. That's where we could not get the case to life up. But the picture shows what appears to be two tabs that drop into two slots on either side. My guess is you have to slide your finger along them or apply enough upward pressure on the case to pop them out. Hope so anyways:)

11. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Still looking for anyone who has removed the bottom panel on the new MacBook. To me it still seems to provide too much resistance along the sides. I don't want to force it and was hoping someone has done this and can offer me some insight. Thanks

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

4GB RAM is cheap and if you don't quit every application after use you'll need 4 GB to gain max performance.

Even just using MS Office, a browser and Photoshop to do light pic editing for powerpoints I'm way past the 2GB limit.

13. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I agree and I actually have the ram here. Just waiting for some advice on getting the back panel off.

14. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Subbing, and adding a question here. I plan on picking one of these up for my wife's birthday next month. Am I reading right on the Apple site that it is pre-configured with 2 1GB DIMMS? I'm assuming this means you need to order a full 4GB to upgrade. If that's the case, it looks like Apple is charging the same as most resellers for the 4GB, $100, if you just purchase it when ordering from them? (Checked Crucial and OWC). Any comments on this, or am I looking at it wrong?

15. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, they told me $100 no labor if its done when you buy the machine and that is about what the Memory Costs from Crucial last I looked.