Did anyone else experience this on their phone ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MarionGelan, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MarionGelan macrumors newbie

So I turn on my phone and I happened to receive a message on my lock screen at the same time. I decided to pull down a notification bar to make the message disappear and this is what happened .....

It glitched on me
    This never happened before
    Even after I unlocked the phone, the notification bar would still be unresponsive for about 30 seconds...

Attached Files:

2. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Do a hard reset ... press/hold the power AND home buttons at the same time until the apple shows up (ignore anything else that comes up on the screen). Then let go. It will reset itself.

This needs to be done from time to time, especially if a lot of apps have been downloaded or it's been a long time since your turned the phone off. A hard reset often cures many types of weirdness...

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Is that a record for the number of apps needing updating?

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Nope. My friend has a 50 badge.

5. Infinus.gold macrumors regular

Infinus.gold

6. dannymercer macrumors newbie

Yeah this has happened to a friend of mine even after hard restarts. Went to the Apple Store (for a battery issue) and mentioned it to a Genius. He says its relatively common on iOS 7 - whether he's being truthful or not, no idea.

He said to wait for the powers that be to squash it. Oh well. You can try a hard restart, but it didn't fix the issue for us.

7. MarionGelan thread starter macrumors newbie

What makes you say that?

----------

Thank you! I tried doing soft reset but it never helped. I'll get to the ATT or Apple store and I'll get them to do a hard reset.

----------

LMAO well I hate updating apps, especially when it happens so often

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A hard reset is nothing more than holding down the Power and Home button until the Apple appears on screen, then release both (basically the same as turning phone off, then on).

You can do this on your own.

9. MarionGelan thread starter macrumors newbie

You're wrong my friend... There's a difference between a soft and a hard reset. What you're talking about is called a "soft" reset. I should know since I used to work for a carrier. A hard reset is done by wiping out your entire phone with a machine...basically a clean slate.

10. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Um no that would be a "Restore". Although typically a power off and power/home button (hard reset) effectively do the same thing. Hard is typically only needed when the device is non-responsive.

"wiping out your entire phone with a machine"? What machine would that be?

11. MarionGelan thread starter macrumors newbie

When working for a carrier, we called pushing a power button and a home button simultenuosly a soft reset. But a hard reset meant to take the phone and erase everything on it. The machine they would connect the phone to was and is the machine that manages to erase all the content on the phone. It's usually up to the folks in the back to perform that task.

12. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Ah ok so just a terminology misunderstanding here. Most folks here call hard reset the power/home combo. (typically when device is locked up). Restore or DFU restore performed to wipe the device and start over as you suggest. (both can be done by the end user with a PC/MAC and iTunes) Bottom line is both do help in various situations when issues are present :)

13. MarionGelan thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly! I've gotten used to the carrier way of naming things that I thought it was the "norm" everywhere haha
    Question, do you use siri ? How often does "she" make a mistake when you speak to it? I find her accurate but sometimes she's really off

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Don't apps update automatically in iOS 7?

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you enable that setting.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you have that setting enabled (and even then might not happen over cellular, depending on some other settings).

17. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

not a lot but usually pretty accurate. It gets better with use as "she" learns. If you switch her off in settings it dumps the learned data and have to start over. So if consistent mistakes may want to try that to clear it all out. Although the more data there the better so they say.

18. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Auto updating? Just make sure it's on under settings. It'll do it for you.