Did anyone else open a Barclays Apple card credit on pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bahamallama, Jun 4, 2010.

1. bahamallama macrumors member

bahamallama

I opened one just to get the 6 months no interest. Figure it's 6 months of the money in my account getting a little interest.
    I get the bill and since I preordered on day 1 March 12th and it didn't ship until April 30th, it didn't give me the promotion!
    ON the fine print it says the first apple order must be made within 30 days!
    Did this happen to anyone else?
    I just emailed a complaint about it. Not too thrilled, especially when AT&T just changed our data plans as well.

I will post back with their reply.

d

2. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I wish I could, too you/not good enough credit to open one.

3. skinsone macrumors regular

Same happened with me, except I had one year free financing. I pre-ordered April 6 and my iPad arrived April 30. My bill arrived before my iPad. Just call them and they will adjust it to the correct free financing. They will have to verify with Apple your order number. They were very nice about it.

4. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Not exactly the same problem, but similar. I only opened the account to take advantage of the no-interest. Why give my money now when I can give it later, I figured.

My total order qualified for 12-months no interest, but the accessories were shipped weeks before the iPad and therefore Barclay's did not see it as one order and it would not qualify for the 12-month/no interest plan.

I raised the question online, on Barclay's site. They responded within 1 day and they told me they will fix it, but it may take a couple of cycles. If I see any interest charges they said they will reverse them.

It sounded like this happens a lot.

5. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Wouldn't recommend anyone doing this.
    Apple really needs to become associated with some more reputable credit providers. Barckays is a total subprime lender and usually a rip off.

6. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

<rhetorical_question>Why are these "Free" financing deals almost always more of a hassle than they're worth?</rhetorical question>

7. bahamallama thread starter macrumors member

bahamallama

Yep.
    On my first mac book pro purchase I went through Mac Mall with a no interest no payment deal for 6 months and it took me that long to get them to straighten it out!
    I do have another Barclay card, the Directv Visa, I have had no problems with it since I got it and I save over $500.00 a year with it's bonus points.
    I thought this card had the iTunes bonus points but nothing, so in my email to them I stated if I can't have the no interest just cancel the card and I'll pay the balance.

d

8. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Well I just signed into my account and there are no interest charges in this, my second billing cycle, so it appears they fixed it on the first request.

Further, I cannot fault them for not recognizing the order amount in total when it was Apple's choice to ship my low-priced accessories first.

All is well with my account. Knock on wood.

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I just closed my Barclaycard account, which I used to buy my MBP.

I recently changed my email address for my online account, and they sent a warning about it to the new email address, but not the old one. I decided that is a big enough security blunder on their part that I don't have confidence in their ability to protect my account. I won't do business with them again.

10. fraud macrumors newbie

Barclays Apple Bait and Switch

Bait and Switch?

I was about to purchase a new Imac for $2600 and I see the Financing Available (IN RED) so I clicked on it and up pops the deal. No interest for 1 year if you use a Barclays card. Cool, so I "Apply Now" right there in the first area that pops up. Fill out the application,and I'm approved, although I had to give them some more info. No big deal so I make the call and explain EXACTLY what I am planing to do: Use it for the free interest in plain english to the Barclays agent I am talking to. So he tells me just go to the store and make your purchase and the Apple sales person can call Barclays and get approval since I won't have my card yet. So I zip down the next day and voila! they never heard of such a thing at Apple so I speak to the store manager who speaks to the manager at Barclays and what do you know, the charge is approved. Great right!

Wrong!!! They send me the Itunes card (black) as opposed to (white) that i would have had to scroll down to find and for which I get Itunes points but no free financing. I call Barclays to be treated rudely by Nicole (FCANGI) who swears that I had filled out the wrong application. Well Golly Gee! Wouldn't you think the agent that took the extra financial information who I told I was using it for the free financing might say something? Apparently not! So back to my rude Barclays agent Nicole who tells me it's my fault and there is nothing she can do about it and she says it with real attitude. Up one level to her supervisor who says the same thing but that if I apply for the free financing credit card she can move the charge to it and wave all the interest and fees. Then she tells me this happens a lot! Hmmm, sounds like the have a bait and switch problem to me. So I ask you. If an honorable company puts a link to "Financing Options" and then includes a card with Itunes points and no free financing, and then supervisor clearly states that a lot of people all mistakingly apply for the Itunes card in "error" maybe just maybe Barclays has a "small" bait and switch problem?:eek:

So I have applied for the white card and hopefully this will get sorted out.

Beware of doing business with companies that operate this way and I'm really surprised that Apple uses Barclays for their financing when there are many reputable financing companies they could select from.

11. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Oxymoron in bold.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just because you had a problem doesn't mean others have. I signed up for the White card and was approved on the spot. I didn't make the purchase the same day so they said I would have to wait for the card to come in the mail to make my purchase but they made an exception for me. They told me to put it on another credit card and once I receive their card, they would do a free balance transfer for me and give me the Apple promotional interest, 0% 6 months. Did all this last month, took about a week for the balance transfer and everything is perfect now. 0% interest for another 5 months. Best credit card company I have every dealt with, Citi and BofA are way worse.

13. mystik610 macrumors regular

Barclays is a large institutional investor in Apple's stock. I'm sure that has a lot to do with why the financing is handled through Barclays.

14. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I did the same for my MacBook air and never had a problem. They are a decent credit card company and I decided to keep my card open since I need a visa since Amex isn't accepted everywhere.